Door Handle Types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
We're trying to choose handles for new doors as we hate the door knobs that we've lived with since moving in 12 years ago. Fine with choosing designs and colours etc but a bit stuck on the actual construction.

Apart from visually is there any difference between handles on roses and on backing plates? Are a given type more robust than another or is it just down to aesthetics?

Also anything to avoid re finishes, brands etc?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you have locking doors then back plates combine the latch handle and the lock [escutcheon] together, including thumb turn toilet or bathroom doors- it generally looks neater. If you have a non-locking door then a handle witha rose is neat and tidy.

For the materials: solid stainless steel [polished or satin] and brass [chromed or polished/ satin finishes] are best quality with cast aluminium following on.... plastic [HEWI] are sometimes chosen for their bright through-colour ranges, but avoid pressed steel or pressed brass ones as they are cheap and will look it after a bit of wear and tear. Cheaper brass handles' laquer coating soon wears off or chips, and in a humid bathroom or shower room the brass discolours quickly. I prefer stainless steel

Important thing with door handles is the quality of the return spring to keep the handle horizontal.... a cheap spring will lose it's strength very quickly. Also cheap handles become loose so the quality of the forged parts soon expose a cheap handle. Look at Laidlaws website for a range of types and manufacturers.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Thanks Archie, yep 3 of the doors will require locks and I agree the plate looks better than the rose for that. The Laidlaws site doesn't seem to gove prices and wants me to order a brochure, two things I tend to be wary of.

We've looked at B&Q and up to about £32 per door but places like doorhandlecompany.co.uk seem to offer similar at better value, about 20% cheaper. For example we were rather taken with these:-

http://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/...k-nickel-door-handles-szs030bn-sold-in--1331/

but unsure about quality of finish plus I'm now leaning towards plates as roses may be too close to our existing knobs. Which haven't faired too well form the robust attentions of three boys.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You're in luck mac, we've just kitted out our new house with doors and handles and as one of the style gurus on CC I'm well placed to advise!

We used an outfit called handles4homes and got some solid stainless steel jobbies, they have a brushed steel finish, on a square rose with separate matching locks for bathrooms, they seem really well made and look great.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

You're in luck mac, we've just kitted out our new house with doors and handles and as one of the style gurus on CC I'm well placed to advise!

We used an outfit called handles4homes and got some solid stainless steel jobbies, they have a brushed steel finish, on a square rose with separate matching locks for bathrooms, they seem really well made and look great.

Oh heaven help me, the style guru from hell has arrived

Archie_tect

:angel:

Archie_tect

We only ever get Laidlaws or ironmongery suppliers to provide schedules.... but I'll have a look as I've been invited to judge the 2013 RIBA Ironmongery Awards!! [I declined] :becool:

Top Bottom