Door mirrors??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The morning as I was coming down Craigleith Hill Avenue, a driver woman saw me coming so reversed out of her driveway ahead of and set off down the road at speed slower than I was already. Nothing unusual in that, happens all the time, I get my own back in the evening when I make them follow me up the hill:biggrin:. No the odd thing about this driver was that she had both door mirrors folded into the car, what does she thing they are for?? Obviously not for looking in. There are some people who should never be allowed on the roads.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
HJ,
They are there so she can check her lippy ;)

romans

Do it! Do it! You can claim you are helping them. They are painfull though as I found out when someone cut across me (and me in a bus lane) and I hit the wingmirror. Fortunately they do hinge, especially when I demonsttrated my distaste at being knocked off my bike by slamming my fist into the mirror. Oh, it didn't break, jsut went back into the correct position!!

domd1979

Veteran
A coach driver I know did exactly that... In the coach on a narrowish road he'd stopped to let a car coming the other way through as there wasn't a huge amount of room (but nevertheless enough). Bloke in car refuses to go through, and he had his mirrors folded in. My friend got out his coach and unfolded the door mirrors on the car and then told him that should help, much to the amusement of the bloke's other half sat in the passenger seat.

Rhythm Thief said:
I often see people driving with their mirrors folded in. I've never quite found the nerve to fold them out while smiling sweetly at them and saying "there you go, now you can see me behind you". Like they'd ever look in them anyway.

Is it more Aerodynamic, to have folded mirrors?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Could have been folded because the car had just come out of a garage. Modern cars are a tight squeeze in many older garages

Keith Oates

Janner
I must admit I usually fold my mirrors in when parking the car to prevent people walking into them or itting them with their doors etc. I also admit I've driven off without remembering to put them back out again, shows I'm human I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOGAN 5

I don't think many car drivers use their wing mirrors. They seem to rely on the rear view one inside. The times you see them using them is when they're trying to pull out of a parking space instead of turning their head to look down the road and in the blind spot (do motorists know about blind spots?). I'm sure they don't know why they have mirrors on their doors!

Arch

Married to Night Train
People should be required to have a lesson or two in a van with no rear view mirror inside before they pass their test. Might teach them how to use wing mirrors.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
This was a driver who had just reversed out of a driveway, how could she not notice that her mirrors were folded in? I get the distinct impression that more drivers don't understand that the mirrors are there for they own safety as well as everyone else's.

Top Bottom