Doored.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
It's good to know nobody was hurt, except the car, and it's fair to point out the careless/thoughtless act by the lady driver. However I suspect most of us have done equally stupid things at sometime or other and luckily got away with it so cut her a little bit of slack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guilty conscience Keith?
Tell us what happened. You're amongst friends here.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pete said:
However much we may laugh at this, it would have been a lot less funny if the woman's arm had been crushed or even severed in the incident. Or indeed if you had been cycling - and were now posting this from a hospital bed - or worse. One wonders how much could be done to limit the effect of this type of silly incident. One idea might be to design cars with doors hinged at the rear so that they open towards an approaching cyclist (as was indeed the case on many 1930s cars). But perhaps someone will come up with a better idea.
Perhaps another idea would be to fit mirrors on the doors of cars so that people could look in them and make sure it is actually safe to open the door...

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Perhaps another idea would be to fit mirrors on the doors of cars so that people could look in them and make sure it is actually safe to open the door...

Like all these pie-in-the-sky ideas, it'd never work. The public wouldn't be prepared to pay for it.

Maybe banning bikes and pick-ups would reduce the number of accidents?

Keith Oates

Janner
Dave5N said:
Guilty conscience Keith?
Tell us what happened. You're amongst friends here.

Not really Dave5N, but I expect there have been times when I've opened a door without looking. Fortunately I've never doored anyone, so I'm happy to be able to say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some doors have really sharp angles, I often imagine them impaling my sternum and poking me in the heart. Clearly no-one at NCAP considers door pointynessto be an issue.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'm reminded of a quote by comedian Ross Noble(I think..)who said;
I was on my bike the other day when someone opened their door in front of me, so I cycled straight into their house!

T x

Pete

Keith Oates said:
The problem with that Pete, is that if the door is not properly closed the wind could pull it open and the person inside may fall out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sensors on the door? Too expensive: no-one would buy into that! No - wait! How does the courtesy light work?

col said:
Or instead of the door getting ripped off,it could close on the driver,acting like a big guilotene(cant spell it)
Guillotine. Splendid idea. :blush:

Reminds me a bit of the old slam door trains, such as I used to commute to school on. One side of the train, the doors would open forwards, on the other side they would open backwards, so it all depended on which side the platform was. With a door opening backwards (i.e. hinged at rear) it was far more difficult to board the train when it was already moving off - and also far more likely to injure someone if you opened the door before the train stopped. Not that I ever did any of these things of course. Never! Ever?! :tongue::blush::biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Presumably the OP must have been driving pretty close to have caught the door in the first place! Maybe you should have been driving in primary.:tongue:
Glad no-one was hurt.

Jaded

Pete said:
far more likely to injure someone if you opened the door before the train stopped.

It's one of the reasons why they have been withdrawn. Along with their appalling performance in a crash.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
However much we may laugh at this, it would have been a lot less funny if the woman's arm had been crushed or even severed in the incident. Or indeed if you had been cycling - and were now posting this from a hospital bed - or worse. One wonders how much could be done to limit the effect of this type of silly incident. One idea might be to design cars with doors hinged at the rear so that they open towards an approaching cyclist (as was indeed the case on many 1930s cars). But perhaps someone will come up with a better idea.

Hmmm, I believe they were known as suicide doors, so that might be why they were phased out...

And sliding doors, - ok, until you factor in the fact that a door can then be opened relatively unoticed, and the unthinking, unlooking dick then steps straight out into the traffic anyway... Softer landing for the cyclist perhaps, but who cares about the cyclist, car manufacturers want to make their cars safe for the occupants, not anyone else....

Arch

Married to Night Train
sheddy said:
Was there any damage to the pickup ?

A dozy cow did this to me many years ago. I managed an emergency stop and pulled up with my LH front headlight about 1" behind her fully opened door. She then gave me the evils cos she couldn't get out. I waited for an apology. With none forthcoming I gave in and reversed up to allow her to close the door before driving on.

If I'd had time, and no pressing engagements, I'd have been tempted to get out, lock the car up, and wander off....:tongue:

Pete

Arch said:
And sliding doors, - ok, until you factor in the fact that a door can then be opened relatively unoticed, and the unthinking, unlooking dick then steps straight out into the traffic anyway...
That had occurred to me. Indeed, when I was driving a white van with sliding doors recently; the fact that I could stop by the roadside, open the door unnoticed, and then be prepared to step out into the traffic still whizzing past within a foot of the van's side - without being able to give any clear signal ... scary.

Top Bottom