Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
So this:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...s-a-drugs-olympics-where-cheaters-can-prosper

Narcissistic naive self-publicist rather than submarines has chosen doped sports as his vehicle to notoriety.
My knee jerk reaction was ‘blood like soup and teenage prodigies found dead in the morning’. If by some miracle this could get off the ground, perhaps in Dubai or something, I can’t see it ending well!

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So this:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...s-a-drugs-olympics-where-cheaters-can-prosper

Narcissistic naive self-publicist rather than submarines has chosen doped sports as his vehicle to notoriety.
My knee jerk reaction was ‘blood like soup and teenage prodigies found dead in the morning’. If by some miracle this could get off the ground, perhaps in Dubai or something, I can’t see it ending well!

As pointed out in the article, no self respecting company sports company will get involved with it. It will have no sponsorship and unlikely to have a TV broadcast contract.
D’Souza is clearly a total narcissistic nobber.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd never heard of Mr DSouza. He sounds a bit daft.

But the idea in itself isn't completely ridiculous. There are (I think, at least) fringe sports like bodybuilding or pro wrestling or strongman competitions which are more entertainment oriented and not subject to the po faced scrutiny of WADA.

So a spin off all-the-drugs-you-like, we don't much care might work. It might even be a bit like pre EPO, pre-Armstong, cycling. (Tin hat on ;) )

Good evening

Back in the day of BBC1, BBC2 and ITV as the only channels I agree that this would have been a non starter.

But a well funded organization that can stream the show doesn't need a broadcast contract especially if they can find advertisers for background hoardings, title sponsorship etc.

Competitors would be easy to find, especially if there was prize money a long down from the winner, for example £10k for 100 place. This could form the basis for making
events involving 40th-50th places meaningful, especially if there was some form of category system that involved promotion and relegation.

Is there a significant audience that would tolerate the number of deaths that would follow from an anything goes policy. I suspect that there is as long as the number of deaths on screen was tiny, look at the audience for boxing.

Who would advertise? Anyone who can spin off a brand, Do you drink Macho lager or Splash down with Fresh Blood after shave. The products could be made on the same production lines as say Carling and Brut 33, as long as the brands were different.

In the UK, Europe and USA there may be a lot of hypocrisy and 10 million actual viewers whilst market research saying that nobody watches it, but that wouldn't be true everywhere.

Go one, admit it, :-) there is something appealing about completive events where it is impossible to cheat, because everything is allowed.

Body building has had a natural category for a long time and as far as I can tell it has good intentions. But there a people who enter the natural events whilst taking substances banned by the natural rules but considered fine by other events. It is much easier to win a natural event if you ignore the rules that were created as a defining principle of the movement.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom