double chain ring fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

chain suck is rare, and even if you do get it you can just wiggle the cranks a bit and jerk it back to normality.

Fab Foodie;316491][QUOTE=mickle said:
Maybe.
But the Fixie FAQ's at least demonstrates I'm not the only one...
We might just have to agree to differ. :blush:

Respect rude boy.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Bonj, i thought you didnt see the point of fixed? If you dont, then how do you 'know'(or not know as the case is) sooo much about fixed?

ASC1951

Guru
Bonj knows lots about lots, but even where he has no personal experience he never lets ignorance stand in the way of definitive advice. Usually it's amusing, here it's dangerous.

Don't forget he only does it to wind us up.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I found his post really funny. But for someone that doesnt like fixed, or know about fixed, he appears to know the dangers of riding fixed, and what you can and cant do. Which i think is a tad strange.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Bonj, i thought you didnt see the point of fixed? If you dont, then how do you 'know'(or not know as the case is) sooo much about fixed?

well, i can sort of see some point, in that it'd be fun to goon round the village on one for a laugh, but can't see how it would be that good for most real-world cycling.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
So Bonj, you are basicly saying you know nothing about it, but your trying to give advice in it:wacko:
Yeh;)

because even if I haven't got a huge wealth of experience in something, I can usually predict things based on other experience, and my predictions are usually right - so I always take any notion that I don't know something about something with a pinch of salt.

But just to reiterate, this following post is completely correct:

bonj said:
well, i can sort of see some point, in that it'd be fun to goon round the village on one for a laugh, but can't see how it would be that good for most real-world cycling.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm going off the idea. I don't want to risk chain-suck. I think I once had chain-suck on the MTB and it threw me off, knocked me out, and caused me to have eleven stitches in my head. I think it was chain-suck anyway. The chain had a tendency to come off due to the front mech being too far up the seat tube.

RedBike

It's not exactly chain suck.
Most people think of chain suck as when the chain sticks to the chainring and starts to go back around again.

On your existing bike,
If you hold your pedals still and then very carefully turn the rear cassette (not the wheel) you'll notice the chain gets tighter and tighter along the bottom; and the rear mech is forced up towards the frame. This is effectively what would happen when you stop pedalling on a fixed wheel bike that has a rear mech (only the forces would be a LOT larger)

skwerl

in this month's C+ there's a singluator on review that doesn't use a sprung tensioner but is held tight by a lock nut. That might work if it can be tensioned sufficiently and doesn't risk slippage.
Be nice for someone to give it a try. I'd offer but i don't have a bike with a mech hanger (and I don't want to risk grave injury if something goes wrong).
maybe Bonj could try?

Top Bottom