Double or triple chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Like yourself I came from a hybrid that was a triple and I also struggle with hills due to a knee op last year. So when it came to buying a road bike I just thought that a tripple was the logical choice. I am very pleased with my choice. I do most of my cycling on the middle ring, but any decent hills and they are all over the place in Cumbria I am right down on the granny ring.

lulubel

Über Member
My bike came with a triple as standard, and I'm glad I have it. I don't use the granny ring very often, but when I do it's because I need it, either because I'm coming towards the end of a ride and I'm tired, or because I've come to a steeper hill than I'm used to, or even because I'm going up a steepish hill with the wind blowing a gale in my face.

So, I'd recommend a triple for those reasons. And, if you get a triple and find the 30/25 gear still isn't low enough for you, you can change the rear cassette and get lower gears still. If you've already got a double with a 34/28 on, and you need lower gears, you're either faced with the cost/complication of changing to a triple, or a new cassette and rear mech that will work with it.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have yet to hear a convincing argument against, as the extra weight/complexity is minimal,

If your cycling is such that the extra weight of a triple over a compact would make a significant different - you don't need either, you are fit enough to ride a standard double!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had both and my current bike is a triple. The granny ring is rarely used but after 60 miles in the Peninnes I have been known to need it as a get me home gear when on a nasty climb. The argument that a triple doesnt give you a better ratio is a bit spurious as you can put the same range cassette on a triple as a compact. So unless you have a 50:30 compact then the triple can give you a far better potential ratio. If you are worried about the additional weight make sure you visit the little boys room before the ride. :whistle:

lejogger

Guru
I'm not going to shout about why get this or why get that, but just mention that you should really check out the SRAM Apex gruppo while researching your next bike. It would be in your price range as I think the Boardman Road Comp has it which is £799.

I was looking for a commuter/tourer recently, and settled on the a bike with this groupset. I was really worried about touring as I thought I would really struggle to manage sustained climbing while fully laden and days into big riding, but it has really been excellent. The range is fantastic, and I don't notice any massive gaps between the ratios as another post mentioned.

I agree with PK99, you are probably fit enough to ride a standard or compact double, but the Apex is a fantastic compromise if you're unsure.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Do not listen to anyone that says a triple isn't needed, a compact is just as good or to just toughen up and ride a proper double. Look at how you ride, what your realistic expectations are and get what suits that, the weight on an additional inner is negligible for all but the most weight weenie racers. Tim B was right, a double if you're fit enough or a triple, ie double plus inner, if you want a bit more. A triple also allows for a closer ratio cassette.

On my road hybrid I had a 30/42/52, with 12-26, the 52 ring was entirely unused and the 30t became a rare occurrence as I got fitter. On my new custom bike I specced a 24/36/46 triple currently with 11-28 but will go to 12-25. Due to my current level of fitness, or lack thereof, yesterdays ride saw me using the 36t ring and a couple of times the 24t, the 46t wasn't needed I never went beyond about 80 gear inches. As my fitness and weight improve I would expect to start using the 46t and the 24t could go months without being touched.

But in either case I was, and am, mighty glad that the inner ring option is there and also glad that the setups have meant very few front changes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The compact chainset is a marketing coup that has tapped into both the manufactures' need to restrict inventory levels at each price point and the vanity of some riders.

Although to be fair, they probably work for the average continental rider's need for some extra help before tackling rides like the Etape du Tour or Marmotte etc. In these they ride along the valley in the big ring, arrive at the bottom of some col, drop into the small ring at the front and then sit in that for the next two hours. As they crest the top of the climb, it's back into the big ring for the hour long descent and ride along to the next climb. Even to do a monstrously long day like the Marmotte probably only requires four down shifts and three up shifts at the front in 12 hours! UK riding is not like that - it's up and down all day with viscous kicks and some ridiculously steep longer climbs if that is your fancy. More is better!
Yes, that's it!

On some of my forum rides round here, you'd be changing compact chainrings ever few minutes and you'd often be on a ring that was slightly too big or slightly too small and be irritated by the big step when changing rings. When I'm fit, I spend a lot of time on the 39 middle ring (or the smaller of my Cannondale's two rings which is also a 39).

When I weighed less than 12 stone, I didn't need to use the granny ring for a whole year so I effectively used a double chainset on my Basso, or I used my Cannondale. At 15.5 stone now, I spend an awful lot of time climbing on the granny ring. I don't think a compact chainset would suit me.

Flyingfox, you'll gain a lot with a road bike being lighter and a compact will more than likely suffice I've been up really steep hills on my 38/52 (11-25) compact and my 39/53 (12-25) double and couldn't imagine my lower geared but heavier hybrid being capable but only you (and your doctor perhaps) will know the extent of your Asthma and if you enjoy a challenge (I do), if in doubt I'd plug for the tripple rather than regretting not having a few extra gears down the line.

Yes, that's it!

On some of my forum rides round here, you'd be changing compact chainrings ever few minutes and you'd often be on a ring that was slightly too big or slightly too small and be irritated by the big step when changing rings.

+1

My old Sirrus has a tripple and although now relegated to my turbo its got my favourite gear range being a 30/42/52 (12-26). I did most of my riding in the 52 but occasionally I would drop to the 42 and comfortably spin in fast group. The granny was seldom used but it was nice to have there as a psychological back up ;-) The 38 and 39 on my other bikes are just a tad too low for spinning in a fast group and 34 (the more common) would be far too low for me.

endoman

As I am getting fitter I am using the granny ring less and less on my hybrid, most of this mornings commute was in the 48 , a little on the 38 and none on the 28.

I use the 28 for one hill on the return, road bike arrives next week with a compact, will be interesting to see how that goes. Will report back

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A lot depends on where you live / intend to ride as well as your cycling fitness. I have a triple on my roadbike plus a 11 to 28 cassette. The 30 chainring and 28tooth cog gives a very low gear for getting over a big hill on tired legs.

If I only did 25 mile rides or lived in Lincolnshire/ Norfolk a double would be great but doing longer rides in South Wales and not being the strongest cyclist my triple suits me fine.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
A lot depends on where you live / intend to ride as well as your cycling fitness. I have a triple on my roadbike plus a 11 to 28 cassette. The 30 chainring and 28tooth cog gives a very low gear for getting over a big hill on tired legs.

If I only did 25 mile rides or lived in Lincolnshire/ Norfolk a double would be great but doing longer rides in South Wales and not being the strongest cyclist my triple suits me fine.

very true and I'd add that I'd want to gear a bike for potential use, if it was a dedicated commuter, on a set route, then I'd go for the fewest/most reliable/cheapest(including longevity related costs) gear setup I could get away with.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

True.

Some really useful info here - and i'm in the process of upgrading, so this helped confirm I still need a triple.

Since Ashton-under-Lyne is only 5 miles west of the Peak District, I reckon a triple would be a wise investment.

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Thanks all, having read all the comments it is probably best to go for a triple - maybe I should have said at the start that I am female so don't have the strength that some of the guys on here have.

I am quite fit (if I go out cycling with my friends I'm usually miles ahead without even trying) and my asthma isn't too bad but I do have a tendency to keel over on hills during the pollen season and very cold weather.

I shall have a wander around some bike shops and try before I buy.

Top Bottom