Double sided spd pedals

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Andrew_Culture, 20 Aug 2012.

1. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

So I finally got some MTB style spd shoes for forty quid (on special at local LBS) so now I need pedals.

I'm guessing double sided pedals might make things easier? Or do standard spd always sit the right way up when unclipped?

The going price for double sided spd pedals on eBay (Outland?) appears to be £30. The lbs has random brand pedals for £40.

Does anyone have a set in the bottom of a box somewhere that they would like to convert to cash, or should I stop being a cheapskate and go buy the lbs pedals?

2. djb1971

djb1971 Guru

Some bargain pedals if you want new

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...b/shimano-pedals/shimano-m520-spd-pedals.html

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/pedals

3. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Culture

djb1971 likes this.
  4. djb1971

djb1971 Guru

5. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Culture

Thanks, I'm going to try Merlin based on the logic that I've never heard of them before and the product reviews mention fast service :smile:

6. djb1971

djb1971 Guru

I've never had any problems with Merlin, always fantastic service :thumbsup:

7. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Culture

You have sealed the deal, thanks again for your help.

8. The Brewer

The Brewer Shed Dweller

I have THESE on my commuter and find them okay, the spd part can not be the right way up when taking off from lights, but manageable.
    THESE are on my Cube and love them, have to change shoes though if I wish to pop the shop on it

9. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Wiggle are doing those for £18.99

10. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

Really?? I have the same on mine and ride them almost all the time with standard trainers, whether that's down to the offy or a 75 mile road ride.

Stu

11. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Keep en eye on ebay. 520's often go for sub £15 new. 520's are good, effective, and reliable. 540's better still, thought you pay for the privilege.

I'm a heathen who uses normal MTB pedals on road bikes too, simply so i can use any of my shoes on any of my bikes.

12. The Brewer

The Brewer Shed Dweller

No I couldn't ride a bike with double sided spd's in trainers, personally I think it's a bit silly to even try to go the shops and dangerous for longer rides

13. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

We must have very different trainers, then! I think it's equally silly to put a pair of SPD shoes on to ride to the local kwik-e-mart.

Stu

14. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

Ffs forget 520s, they're cheap for a reason. Spend a bit more on some PD M 530s or some A520s if it's for a roadbike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice