Double video cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

I love his bike setup with the mass of cabling and batteries - espeically the way he seems to be able to plug his whole bike into the mains to recharge!

Also, there was an interesting comment on one of the videos about being passed too close - when the incident was reported to the police they were doubtful they could push any form of prosecution because the video didn't contain enough information to prove how closesly he was passed.

At home I have been tinkering with an electronics project that uses an ultrasonic sensor, with the intention that I could use it to find out how closely I get passed. I have a working prototype (the sensor works, and displays the distance on an LCD), but I have yet to put it into a suitable form to attach onto my bike. It might be difficult in court to prove the device was accurate though.

However, it occurs to me that if you had a sideways facing camera and two angled laser pointers, you could prove the distance you were passed by by measuring the distance between the dots from the lasers on the passing vehicle.

The way this guy remonstrates with the drivers reminds me of someone....:blush:

I did think about keeping the ATC2000 and facing it backwards, but by the time I would get both cameras set up I would be half way to work!

I'd love a device to tell me how close the cars were passing. Tim, if you get a working device you could start selling them, I think a few folk would be interested!

PrettyboyTim

I can't see myself selling them, but once I get something working I'll probably put up a page explaining how to make your own.

It's all based on an Arduino microprocessor board (£19), with a Devantech SRF05 ultrasonic ranging component (£16), plus a generic 16 x 2 LCD panel off eBay (£7) and some miscellaneous wires and a bit of prototyping breadboard. You have to solder some pins onto the LCD and ranging unit, but it's fairly straightforward stuff; I am a rank beginner when it comes to electronics, but luckily this project mainly rests on my ability as a programmer :blush:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sounds great! Now all you need is a RTC and a flash memory writer so you can match up the spacing with cars passing.

Tim,

That would be great if you could post that when your done. I am a physicist by trade (not much electronics though) so I do have distant memories of using soldering irons!:blush:

Sorry Mike, no I don't. I've never got round to setting up a web site for myself.

I have the Archos 404 plus archos helmet camera. I will try and get a picture of it tonight and post it on flickr if you are interested.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cheers mate, yes please! I'm interested in what sort of cables there are, charging, and how easy it is to use on a daily basis. I'm tempted by this setup, but slightly worried that it's going to be a major pain compared to the ATC-2000.

BentMikey said:
Cheers mate, yes please! I'm interested in what sort of cables there are, charging, and how easy it is to use on a daily basis. I'm tempted by this setup, but slightly worried that it's going to be a major pain compared to the ATC-2000.

It might be worth looking at the new 405 as this records to SD cards and not hard disk. This might be better for the rough and tumble of a daily commute.

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
It's all based on an Arduino microprocessor board (£19), with a Devantech SRF05 ultrasonic ranging component (£16), plus a generic 16 x 2 LCD panel off eBay (£7) and some miscellaneous wires and a bit of prototyping breadboard. You have to solder some pins onto the LCD and ranging unit, but it's fairly straightforward stuff; I am a rank beginner when it comes to electronics, but luckily this project mainly rests on my ability as a programmer :blush:

Oh, right, yeah, dead simple...

Can I knit one?

Top Bottom