Double wrapping bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have done it to mine , badly !
Difficult to push double thickness into bar ends and fit end caps , ran out of tape so now have a great wadge of electricians tape covering the error!
Other wise it feels Ok.
Regards
Mark

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have done it to mine , badly !
Difficult to push double thickness into bar ends and fit end caps , ran out of tape so now have a great wadge of electricians tape covering the error!
Other wise it feels Ok.
Regards
Mark

I always start at the ends of the bars, leaving plenty enough to tuck inside and work up, towards the hoods and tops.

Hi SD
I did that , but when you tape on top of tape you have double thickness to bend into the bar and then fit the plugs , mid you I fit the tape on top of the original , if fitting from scratch I may use a different technique. !!
regards
Mark

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Hi SD
I did that , but when you tape on top of tape you have double thickness to bend into the bar and then fit the plugs , mid you I fit the tape on top of the original , if fitting from scratch I may use a different technique. !!
regards
Mark
Make it so the under-tape doesn't need tucking in to the bar ends. Then it comes out perfect.

griff488

I double wrapped mine and it looks ok. I like the thicker bar as I'm used to riding motorcycles and it just feels better to me! Also as said above it gives great padding too. I can ride without gloves now.

I double wrapped mine and it looks ok. I like the thicker bar as I'm used to riding motorcycles and it just feels better to me! Also as said above it gives great padding too. I can ride without gloves now.
Not so sure about this , up until a couple of weeks a go I was a non gloves wearer , I came of on some gravel and sustained a couple of deepish cuts to mty hand , this was the day before a trip cycling in the Lakes , i managed to cycle butv was in pain for most of the time , suffice is to say I am a glove wearer now !!!
regards
Matr

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I only double wrap on the tops to give it that wider look and extra padding of course. I like it double wrapped there as my hands are there most often for climbing. Can look too bulky sometimes if double wrapped all over

I use double pad over gel pads on my Defy! And Spesh BG gel gloves, and I still get sore hands - which is why I also ride a bike recumbent.

The bars do look a bit bulky, but better that than irreparable hand/nerve damage.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to do all of the above till i realized my bike fit was aggravating a shoulder issue , now with normal gel tape and gloves i dont get bad hands anymore .

I do have to keep doing my physio for my shoulder but i have been tingle free for a couple of months now .

Top Bottom