Double wrapping bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yep - just don't overlap too closely or you may run out of tape before the end.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Yes, I do this and if you do it properly it does not look a mess, but it is noticeably more bulkier to the eye. Have you considered gel pads though?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've done it - one thing to consider is leaving the lower layer only where you want the padding. On my FSA Wing bars, the drops are a bit thin, so I cut the lower layer slightly before the shifter clamps and taped the ends, before wrapping the second layer over it.

robgul

Legendary Member
My 2p - use the bar tape you have removed (or another roll, it's not expensive) to tape a strip along the length of the top surface of the bars (use electrical tape to position and hold it in place) - from the top of the brake hoods to where the regular tape will end (and cables emerge) - then wrap the final tape as usual. Same principle as the gel pads but at nil/low cost - you get the padding effect without the overall bulk of double taping. [I have big hands/long fingers and even for me the double tape produces a bar that's too fat.]

Rob

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I did it on two of my bikes.
I put cheap Boardman on first then used red Lizard skins on top-looks great and is really comfy.
Try to do it where the under tape doesn't need to be pushed into the bar ends, it will make it easier and neater IMHO.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Do it carefully and it looks ok, a tad bulkier but I found it just too thick for the web of my thumb to be properly comfy and not overstretched when riding on the tops (99% of my roadie time)

I ditched it after my first 30+ mile ride with it doubled.

Top Bottom