Down The Drain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this on the BBC site this morning, very interesting it is too!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56281464

I know there's a few on the 'SecretLeeds' forum who can identify a certain cover & name what street it's on, even
which foundry it was cast in!

In fact, there's a water-valve access in the lane outside our house, that since noticing it, I've not seen one the same in the town!
(due to the lettering on it)

We've lived here over 16 years, & whilst I've seen the casting before, I only noticed the lettering 5 years ago when I was adjusting the gear-cables on one of my bikes, & looking down at the changes on the cassette

Normanton Urban District Council

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I must be a sad, sad man because I found that link strangely interesting. So many interesting names. Operculism. Pantametallurgicon. Aaargh! I don't have time to do the things that I want to do and now there's another one for the list. Maybe I will have to give up one of my other hobbies.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps they were unusually rare and interesting ones? Or more likely, scrap value to someone. A very antisocial activity.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sad I know, but I quite often read the lettering on manhole etc., covers, as I walk around, largely out of curiosity. Needham in Stockport made a large number for both where I used to live and where I now live.
Also, as you have identified, they can tell a tale of previous administrations. North West Water Authority for example. Or where I now live has been subject to boundary changes, but some of the covers relate to the historic boundaries.

Sad I know, but I quite often read the lettering on manhole etc., covers, as I walk around, largely out of curiosity. Needham in Stockport made a large number for both where I used to live and where I now live.
Also, as you have identified, they can tell a tale of previous administrations. North West Water Authority for example. Or where I now live has been subject to boundary changes, but some of the covers relate to the historic boundaries.

Likewise these distance plates, that I pass most days going to work (if I don't go through the Woods)

Wakefield Corporation Water Works

There's two locations, both with several plates
35653256_10214850237761772_6635959544470044672_n.jpg

35671563_10214850238441789_5056004740295426048_n.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Talking of water supply, I also occasionally find the yellow "H" hydrant plates are incorrect. The number below the horizontal line of the "H" should be the distance from the sign to the water supply. More OCD!:sad:

Top Bottom