Drafting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

was out today after work and had someone draft me for about 3 miles, I didn't realise he was there at first so might have been longer. Am I just being stupid at getting annoyed that he didn't take a turn on the front :biggrin: in the end I just shifted gear and flew off so he couldn't keep up.

Don't mind people drafting when out and about but everyone should share the workload

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
was out today after work and had someone draft me for about 3 miles, I didn't realise he was there at first so might have been longer. Am I just being stupid at getting annoyed that he didn't take a turn on the front :biggrin: in the end I just shifted gear and flew off so he couldn't keep up.

Don't mind people drafting when out and about but everyone should share the workload
Have you been watching the TdF per chance? :rolleyes: Sheeesh!

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy

Is that not the one o one of drafting when you don't know the person aka not a team? Never share the load?

It's pretty normal thing, and I've never had a problem with it. Unless they're a complete noob and ride too close and over lap wheels.

I pulled a couple of guys about 10 miles last month, one of 'em did try to take the lead, but he couldn't keep the pace up and so I was fine letting him drop back behind.

How are they going to share the workload if they don't know where you're going?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't mind paople drafting me; it's their karmic reward for all the wheel-sucking I do.

Its only a small benefit but when somebody draft you they are intercepting the turbulent air that would have formed behind you if they weren't there; it something like 0.5% benefit. So I don't mind too much if folk are drafting but it would be nice if they come through and gave you a break. Having said that I sometimes a bit taken back by drafting somebody I don't know, especially in traffic and would be a bit perturbed. Slightly OT, I was cheesed of by a drafter on the Marmotte, he sat behind me for 20minutes or more and finally came through for about 20-30secs before slamming on his brakes and waving me back through. I didn't mind the drafting too much but comming through but then stopping :wacko:

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i wouldent be annoyed, but manners say they should let you know there there,as for sharing that requires comunication so ask. but if there not offering to share the workload there saying you are a stronger cyclist than me:laugh:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
on sunday i was being drafted without my knowledge, looked behind when i saw someone on my wheel, let them stay with me on the flat the promptly dropped them on the hill! 45 miles in i had 2 guys sit behind me for a while, so i pushed a bit, then they went past and offered me a wheel for a while which i was grateful for. they stopped 1/2 mile later though but it did help push my average speed up a bit :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Don't draft, scalp :evil: :whistle:

I have never drafted someone I don't know when riding. There is a danger that the person could stop suddenly or avoid a major obstruction that you would hit. When riding with others there is an etiquette involving hand signals and calls that most riders observe re stopping changing direction and avoiding pot holes etc. If you draft someone and they are unaware of you, this wouldn't happen and you could end up taking them out as well not good.

Siegfried

I don't draft because I prefer to look at the road ahead and scenery rather than someone's backside when I'm riding but once or twice I've found someone behind me for a while. In a way it's quite flattering I suppose but on an otherwise often deserted road with a very small risk of any incident involving another road user I would be put out if the drafter ran into me and caused a crash. It also seems a little intrusive, a bit like if someone began walking alongside you on a footpath without saying hello and striking up a conversation, or if someone sat right next to you when you were the only passenger on the bus. Also, if they're not in a race where every second of time and calorie of energy saved is critcial all they are achieving is a less satisfying and productive work out than if they rode on their own, or came longside for a natter, which is something I wouldn't mind at all. Still, life would be dull if we were all the same...

Milzy

Guru
I am sick to death of all these petty drafting threads on cycle forums. You're not pro cyclists so get a ***@*@* life. Maybe you should try shooting your bolt & having a few beers in your favorite chair?

redcard

Veteran
I got drafted the other night. What a pathetic loser, eh? It was the only way him and his £5K Pinarello could keep up. I had no legs, hadn't eaten for 6 days and was carrying 4KG on my back, and he expected me to carry him as well? Needless to say I waited for a hill then absolutely smashed him. I waited for him at the top then overtook him SIX times just to show what a dick he was.

He didn't even give me a cheery hello© . And I think he was wearing Rapha.

If I was an angry person I would have followed him home and beat seven shades out of him.

pauldavid

Veteran
I am happy to say I have never drafted anyone.

However, I can't promise I never will. If I ever get fast enough to be able to hang onto the back of anyone else I blimming well will.

Serves you right for being such an elite athlete amongst all those normal folk

Top Bottom