Dragging Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just changed the pads on my CGR, (R505 calipers/RS785 'brifters')

Now they're dragging, I have pushed the pistons back as far as i can - with a smooth, plastic object (circlip pliers handle)
I'll hazard a guess that they just need riding to bed in

Even though I've had the bike since March '17, & have taken them out to check for wear, this will be the first change

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'd think you nailed it with Bedding in.
Some after mkt pads are a fraction thicker or thinner etc

Brake fluid could be over filled ?
I assume you aligned the caliper?
If you still get drag after a short ride I'd remove a little brake material with some courses paper then finish with fine to remove any grit., Wash in water and refit.

See how it goes

I'd think you nailed it with Bedding in.
Some after mkt pads are a fraction thicker or thinner etc

Brake fluid could be over filled ?
I assume you aligned the caliper?
If you still get drag after a short ride I'd remove a little brake material with some courses paper then finish with fine to remove any grit., Wash in water and refit.

See how it goes
Thannks

Fluid not touched
Shimano pads

Caliper not re-aligned

Had intended 'bedding-in ride', but been out with wife

Whilst mine's not the furthest/hilliest commute, the time I had to do it today, helped with some (bedding-in) braking!

For the past 4 weeks, I've been on (the reviled/abhorred/despised) late-turns, but this week I'm on a 'Dolly' (9 to 5), so there's more traffic to contend with - particularly on the homeward bound, as most of our office/clinic staff leave at that time

There's a steady descent to the new roundabout on Aberford Road, by the Hospice, then the new r/bout on Neil Fox Way (as it's now been called, for some reason)

They were seemingly rolling freely by the time I got home

On replacement
Ribble. CGR. 12.JPG Ribble. CGR. 13.JPG

Globalti

Legendary Member
Few people realise how tight a fit the piston is inside the seal, meaning it's extremely difficult to push pistons back in. Once everything has settled down, the pistons move because hydraulic pressure deforms the seals, which spring back to shape afterwards causing the piston to retract. As the pads wear the pistons creep microscopically through the seals. Sometimes if you grab a handful of brake you can cause them to go through too far and the brake jams on.

Kajjal

Guru
While the pads are supposed to be the same thickness sometimes some can be a little thicker than the ones you had before meaning you need to let a little fluid out so they clear the rotors properly.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
While the pads are supposed to be the same thickness sometimes some can be a little thicker than the ones you had before meaning you need to let a little fluid out so they clear the rotors properly.

Indeed. But rather than letting the fluid out and risk getting bubbles, you'll be better opening the reservoir on the handlebar and using a tissue to soak up some excess fluid.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bites lip

Top Bottom