Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Kind Regards is bad enough, but lazy people who simply put KR drive me to fits of apopleptic rage.

perplexed

Guru
Woke up in the night, couldn't get back off. Put BBC News on with the volume low. Its either keeps me occupied for an hour if I can't get off, or acts like counting sheep if I can.

Anyway, someone being interviewed said something literally outrageous, and I was literally exploding with rage. I then fell asleep, and now can't remember what itnwas they said.

So now I'm angry with myself for forgetting, and also worried in case I've got early onset Alzheimer's. I'm literally confused. Whatever it was, it was pertinent to this thread.

Worry not, that nice, dependable, strong and stable Trazor May will be along to sooth your fretting brow... (Can brows 'fret')?

perplexed

Guru
Dropping the letter T in words annoys me. I hear people under 30 do it mostly. Be''er(better) bu''er(butter)ma''er(matter)are a few examples. Now i expect this as the education authorities encouraged/allowed/promoted this slovenly way of talking about 20 years ago. Even those who work for the BBC use this lazy way of talking. For example one person who works for BBC Radio Lancashire continually says Ever'on when referring to the football club Everton. I pass Radio Lancashire's building quite a lot and have often thought about going into the reception and asking to see this presenter to have it out with him about his slovenly way of speaking.

One of our local radio presenters does this. 'Sheffield Wednesday' becomes 'Shevuld Wensdeh', 'Sheffield United' becomes 'Shevuld Uni'ed'...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One of our local radio presenters does this. 'Sheffield Wednesday' becomes 'Shevuld Wensdeh', 'Sheffield United' becomes 'Shevuld Uni'ed'...
That would do my head in,as they say.:ninja: He probably think that most football fans speak like that and he's just communicating on their level.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My personal bugbears are 'unique' used as a kind of marketing ketchup and, similarly, The in italics, as in The heating engineers. No, you're not the heating engineers; you're one of many heating engineers. As for unique, whenever I hear it I think, yes, well, so is every turd laid by a dog in the history of creation.

classic33

Leg End Member
Woke up in the night, couldn't get back off. Put BBC News on with the volume low. Its either keeps me occupied for an hour if I can't get off, or acts like counting sheep if I can.

Anyway, someone being interviewed said something literally outrageous, and I was literally exploding with rage. I then fell asleep, and now can't remember what itnwas they said.

So now I'm angry with myself for forgetting, and also worried in case I've got early onset Alzheimer's. I'm literally confused. Whatever it was, it was pertinent to this thread.
Police have stopped the battle bus, due to it having the wrong number plate.

Top Bottom