Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm literally gobsmacked. I was literally watching the news when some woman opined "Teresa May is literally taking food out of children's mouths."

Whhoooaa there a moment. Mrs May is shoving her hand into the mouths of children and physically withdrawing the food? Why has this not been in the news before?

The word 'literally' has become so common in use that it now, quite literally, seems to mean the opposite of that which it should. I'm literally stunned.

Its becoming literally as bad as hearing the word negotiate mis-pronounced all the time... ;)

Last edited:
If they said Theresa DisMay is 'litter tray', they literally might be right.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Indeed.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheers Biff. No feeling in two fingers so my typing ability lags behind my grammatical rage.

When giving a speech, why do politicians (and Chief Constables) ask themselves a question out loud before going in to answer it themselves?

classic33

Leg End Member
Cheers Biff. No feeling in two fingers so my typing ability lags behind my grammatical rage.

When giving a speech, why do politicians (and Chief Constables) ask themselves a question out loud before going in to answer it themselves?
They've done an "Houdini".

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
That's literally* the best rant I've ever read.

* I might be using the word 'literally' in the way that William Shakespeare commonly did, which is to say 'metaphorically'. These modern playrights have never used the English language proper-like though....

Top Bottom