Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When giving a speech, why do politicians (and Chief Constables) ask themselves a question out loud before going in to answer it themselves?

Not being a politician, or a Chief Constable for that matter, I am not in a position to answer that.

However, I do live on my own, with 30 cats, a range of full plastic shopping bags and a couple of old Tesco trolleys and I have been known to chunter on a bit to myself......mutter, mutter, mutter !!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apart from mis-use of literally, my pet hates are "begging the question", which is " assuming that which you are trying to prove" a type of logical falacy or dishonest argument. It does not mean "that is the important question".

Or "a quantum leap" in say, performance - (literally) the smallest possible physical quantity doesn't really impress me.

And "reaching a crescendo". Umn a crescendo is a gradual getting louder, thus you haven't actually started getting louder at all when you "reach the crescendo"

Bah !

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Lanaguage evolves, for example egregious once meant eminent or prominent, now it means the opposite. Although it can jar hearing changes, such as "like" which now seems a compulsory insertion in the sentences of a lot of people under 25.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Assuming we are talking about the removal of free school lunches and breakfast meaning breakfast, then it seems to me to be a correct and knowing use of the word literally.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Who cares?

Language is all about communicating something. Providing that happens then so what if the grammar isn't quite right?

The only exception I make to this is when communication is going to result in the assessment of the person communicating. Such as a CV or a formal email or such like. Other than that, I don't care providing I can understand the idea that the person is trying to convey

The only exception I make to this is my MiL who is one of those grammar sticklers. So when she makes a mistake I always pull her up on it

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm literally gobsmacked. I was literally watching the news when some woman opined "Teresa May is literally taking food out of children's mouths."

Whhoooaa there a moment. Mrs May is shoving her hand into the mouths of children and physically withdrawing the food? Why has this not been in the news before?

The word 'literally' has become so common in use that it now, quite literally, seems to mean the opposite of that which it should. I'm literally stunned.

Its becoming literally as bad as hearing the word negotiate mis-pronounced all the time... ;)

Earlier I was literally stood next to Theresa's big blue bus and it was literally parked in an area where you can't normally park and I thought, that's literally not allowed.
I didn't see any signs of her taking food from urchins though...;)

IMG_20170518_113612032.jpg

Tim Hall

Some wrote on Facebook the other day that a story was "draw dropping". It made me laugh to imagine them dropping their draws.
Or indeed, their drawers. (See also chester draws.)

I overheard someone saying to her friend "it beggars the question", which gave me small pause for thought. Going back to the OP, "Word of Mouth" covered the use and changing meaning of literally the other day, and got the impression it was reinforcing the point @LonesomeWanderer made. (Starting sentences with "so" is also covered.)

Top Bottom