Drawing the Cycle Design Vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think I remember being told that there are three places called Nowhere just in Norfolk. The Lynn one is definitely underwhelming, with 1930s housing and allotments up to it on one side and a factory fence the other, with the only remnant now being the level crossing name plate.

Perfect!

• Laugh
Reactions: mjr
When did you last see a cargo tricycle, and how wide was it. How often do you actually see one.
The biggest issue with an cargo bike was that is took to much force to get it to move(when loaded with an substantial load), while the Ups one shown in the clip won't be street legal in the uk, and other parts of europe the powerfull eletric engine can help the driver to actually get somewhere. With all those co2 reductions ponzi schemes it's very likely that we see much more cargo bikes and the likes in the future. so i think it makes perfect sense to try and explain the council that they must look ahead, not just at the situation now but also what the proposed change is going the deliver for possible issues later.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Outspoken cycle delivery company in Cambridge use an array of electrically assisted cargo bikes. Their business model is great I think and would work in so many other places with the right political will and start ups.

classic33

Leg End Member
The biggest issue with an cargo bike was that is took to much force to get it to move(when loaded with an substantial load), while the Ups one shown in the clip won't be street legal in the uk, and other parts of europe the powerfull eletric engine can help the driver to actually get somewhere. With all those co2 reductions ponzi schemes it's very likely that we see much more cargo bikes and the likes in the future. so i think it makes perfect sense to try and explain the council that they must look ahead, not just at the situation now but also what the proposed change is going the deliver for possible issues later.
Search for DHL quadricycle, mainland Europe, and eco cabs in Dublin. Both e-assist.

I've seen one of the DHL cargo quads over here and actually had a go on one of the eco cabs. Neither are intended to use anything other than the roads.

There's two e-assist cargo bikes in use near me, and they don't use the pedestrian footbridges.

It's a red herring to claim they will.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I believe they deliver up to the best part of a ton on the trikes. Don't quote me but I am sure I read that on their blurb.

Search for DHL quadricycle, mainland Europe, and eco cabs in Dublin. Both e-assist.

I've seen one of the DHL cargo quads over here and actually had a go on one of the eco cabs. Neither are intended to use anything other than the roads.

There's two e-assist cargo bikes in use near me, and they don't use the pedestrian footbridges.

It's a red herring to claim they will.
So far i read it was about a cycle bridge, and i understand that an cargo bike driver in general would not prefer a cycle bridge but the choice whether or not to use it should be with the driver/his company and not the council because they made an unsuitable design in 2021 that's my whole 50p

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
So far i read it was about a cycle bridge, and i understand that an cargo bike driver in general would not prefer a cycle bridge but the choice whether or not to use it should be with the driver/his company and not the council because they made an unsuitable design in 2021 that's my whole 50p
The bridge, using what's been given, is already in place, it's the access that's being changed.

The trike pictured, from 2015, would make the turn. The e-assist UPS, in the video one wouldn't even fit on the ramp.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The bridge, using what's been given, is already in place, it's the access that's being changed.

The trike pictured, from 2015, would make the turn.
The bridge ramp is proposed to be changed, as well as the northern access (which would be directly from a carriageway).

The tricycle is one of the smallest ones and just happened to be one I had a picture to hand. I am unsure it would make the hairpin. Do you have its turning circle and width handy?

Drago

Legendary Member
When did you last see a cargo tricycle, and how wide was it. How often do you actually see one.
Friday, actually, when I went into Milton Keynes to forage for food. It was a rare, but pleasing, sighting.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
To bring a bit of evidence to the thread- a housing estate road serving up to 60 houses is 4.8m wide, a local road serving up to 2050 houses is 5.5m wide, a major road is 6.7m wide and a trunk road is 7.3m wide. I have no difficulty dioing a U-turn on any of them so it's perhaps better to do physical test to check with it marked out on a road.

A 3m cycle path returning back on itself which is 6.15m wide should be adequate for anyone to do a U turn though, the only difficulty with it is that the fencing prevents a cyclist from using the full width, though even deducting 1.2m for clearance 4.95m is still a decent turning space.

If two cyclists meet at the loop however, it is entirely reasonable for one of them to give way for the 3 or 4 seconds should this happen. Of course it would be better if the return end could be extended in a wider semi-circle of 4m radius to permit 2 cyclists to pass on the loop but an elevated cyclepath 8m wide is a massive elevated structure.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm going on a bit now but Bike nation by Peter Walker goes through every permutation of cycle infrastructure around the world and explains clearly and simply with references on the most beneficial ways to make it work. Enjoyable and thought provoking book and I took from it that people power and local authorities with guts are the ones that ultimately make the difference. Well worth a read.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Amazingly, despite the mockery that usually follows these kind of statements that if the space is there people will use it.

classic33

Leg End Member
The bridge ramp is proposed to be changed, as well as the northern access (which would be directly from a carriageway).

The tricycle is one of the smallest ones and just happened to be one I had a picture to hand. I am unsure it would make the hairpin. Do you have its turning circle and width handy?
I'd say approximately 14' turning circle* and a little over 3'(European directive on the maximum width to be classified a pedal cycle. DHL quads are built to the same restriction.)

*Meaning that just like a HGV taking a tight left you move to the outside, and start your turn that bit earlier.

The ramp itself is the bigger problem.

I'd say approximately 14' turning circle* and a little over 3'(European directive on the maximum width to be classified a pedal cycle. DHL quads are built to the same restriction.)

*Meaning that just like a HGV taking a tight left you move to the outside, and start your turn that bit earlier.

The ramp itself is the bigger problem.
So ok granted, the cargo bikes that are being used by Ups dhl and the like might be to big, but where no longer living in Trump world we don't have to go from the one extreme to the other, let's say the cargo bike's there are popular for the schoolrun in the Netherlands by some wonder become popular here, away with the Tractors in with the children cargo cycle. These are not so gigantic as these purpose build ups and dhl bikes but still cargo bikes. (see here https://www.babboe.co.uk for some examples) So it still is my 1pound(i raised the stake) that in 2021 the government/council/angry grandma interrupting the live stream should be able to make a cycle bridge that can accomodate all. For the many not the few..

Top Bottom