Dreadful BBC reporting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm not usually piqued by such things, taking them in my stride as a rule, but the slant on that article is unbelievably callous. The poor motorists had to wait... and were

prevented from turning into Regents Park Road

...My lord! It's outrageous! They couldn't turn into Regents Park Road because of the selfish actions of a cyclist getting himself killed.

The local news report was even worse reporting upon the effect of the hold up on local business - highlighting a firm who had delivery vehicles stuck in the traffic restrictions. Not one of those interviewed stepped outside their little selfish world to express sympathy or concern for the cyclist.

The interesting thing that everyone is missing (deliberately?) is that the driver is charged with GBH!

This is an unusual (and if I am wrong the legal eagles will correct me) but I believe this implies that this requires an "intent to harm" in other words the Police are convinced enough that the motorist intended to injure the cyclist to bring such a charge.....

So if this is the case it should have been a different headline..... Aggressive violent motorist causes traffic chaos - but then again why bother?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A GBH charge sounds to me like the police know it was deliberate, so this doesn't sound like an accident at all, rather murder.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Just use the feedback link on the site. I've done it several times, and each time the issue was dealt with very quickly.

yello

Cunobelin said:
The interesting thing that everyone is missing (deliberately?) is that the driver is charged with GBH!

I saw it but didn't what to assume anything from it... though it might suggest no fault on the part of the cyclist. I found the whole tone of the article sickening offensive regardless of fault, or even who was fatality injured.

yello said:
I saw it but didn't what to assume anything from it... though it might suggest no fault on the part of the cyclist. I found the whole tone of the article sickening offensive regardless of fault, or even who was fatality injured.

I agree that apportioning blame is difficult aat such an early stage, and soes not help the outcome, or lessen the trauma for the relatives. Especially when this is compounded I suspect by such heartless and poor reporting.

However my curiosity was piqued by the sentence in the news report so looked up GBH as an offence... and that is where I came up with the discovery that the charge requires "intent" to cause harm, or at least an "Awareness" that your action will cause harm. To actauly charge the driver with this offence at this stage suggests thatthere is strong evience that she intended to injure the cyclist.

It does not make the story or the way it was reported any more palatable, but does raise the question as to why no-one has followed up, especially now as I believe (again if I am wrong- correct me) that if the victim dies a GBH escalates to murder or at best manslaughter.

The reluctance to pick up on this aspect of the incident is at best negligent.

Top Bottom