Cycling Mikey and third party reporting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He's wearing jeans on a bike, oh he must be 'ard'. :laugh:

Boopop

Guru
I like what he does with footage but he called me delicate on twitter for calling his friend out for telling @tricyclemayor to "f##k off". Shortly after that he blocked me, which I found rather ironic given he'd said I was delicate.

@tricyclemayor's an expert in the field, and I don't think we should be telling fellow cycling advocates to "f##k off", no matter how unpalatable their views may be. Harry's got mobility issues and she was accusing someone else of being ableist. I didn't necessarily agree with her but she has a different lived experience to me so I would hope that even if we disagreed with each other we could treat one another with respect.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, it's just at this point I see CyclingMikey and think "well perhaps he's not perfect". Admittedly no-one is mind. I wouldn't tell him to f##k off :laugh:

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I like what he does with footage but he called me delicate on twitter for calling his friend out for telling @tricyclemayor to "f##k off". Shortly after that he blocked me, which I found rather ironic given he'd said I was delicate.

@tricyclemayor's an expert in the field, and I don't think we should be telling fellow cycling advocates to "f##k off", no matter how unpalatable their views may be. Harry's got mobility issues and she was accusing someone else of being ableist. I didn't necessarily agree with her but she has a different lived experience to me so I would hope that even if we disagreed with each other we could treat one another with respect.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, it's just at this point I see CyclingMikey and think "well perhaps he's not perfect". Admittedly no-one is mind. I wouldn't tell him to f##k off :laugh:
That's not great. @tricyclemayor is a great Twitter account

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't habe problem with him filming and grassing. They all deserve it, so the more the merrier.

I don't agree with his need to verbally confront the wrong doers. It gains him nothing, so why bother? He's already touched upon his feeling of powerlessness, and this behaviour smacks of a psychological weakness, a need and desire to dominate, to be on top. It's an unattractive trait and to a moderate degree detracts from his good work by turning away those who might otherwise heartily agree with the excellent camera work and diligent grassing.

Imagine how sheety a place the world would be if everyone who felt powerless spoke so condescendingly to everyone they met.

Slick

Guru
I don't habe problem with him filming and grassing. They all deserve it, so the more the merrier.

I don't agree with his need to verbally confront the wrong doers. It gains him nothing, so why bother? He's already touched upon his feeling of powerlessness, and this behaviour smacks of a psychological weakness, a need and desire to dominate, to be on top. It's an unattractive trait and to a moderate degree detracts from his good work by turning away those who might otherwise heartily agree with the excellent camera work and diligent grassing.

Imagine how sheety a place the world would be if everyone who felt powerless spoke so condescendingly to everyone they met.
I'm no expert but from what I've seen its him reacting to total nobbers who just can't accept that they do not have the divine right to flout the laws of the land and put people in danger as they simply must answer that phone or get to that next set of lights 10 seconds earlier than they would have if they just had a modicum of patience. I really don't see it as condescending but I've seen a few who fet irate because he obviously isn't afraid of their idle threats.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not sure of his motivation for confrontation rather than simply gathering evidence candidly and submitting for review. Perhaps it is more to do with a desire to not only catch but also educate, given his personal experience. However as is proven, the type of person getting caught is often not the type of person to be apologetic or submissive, thus leading to watchable video content.

Alex321

Veteran

Not only that, but despite him claiming not be a vigilante, that is exactly what him blocking and confronting those drivers is.

As I've said before, I absolutely think him videoing and reporting is a very good thing. But I don't agree with his direct action.

the snail

Guru
Not only that, but despite him claiming not be a vigilante, that is exactly what him blocking and confronting those drivers is.

As I've said before, I absolutely think him videoing and reporting is a very good thing. But I don't agree with his direct action.
He's not a vigilante. A vigilante sets themselves up as policeman, judge and executioner. He's not punishing anybody, or attacking them. He just confronts bad drivers and stands his ground, in a remarkably calm if slightly passive-agressive way. The likes of the mercedes driver are self-entitled bullies, who think the law doesn't apply to them, who behave like they do because they think their behaviour won't be challenged. If he were in Germany, where people expect others to obey the law, his behaviour would be the norm. If it was a mugger he confronted, no-one would think he was a vigilante. Personally, I'd give him an OBE.

Top Bottom