"Cycling Mikey" loses court case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Northern Echo link.

I wasn't previously aware of this incident, which happened in September 2021 near Regents Park, London. Presumably at the corner featured in a lot of CM's videos, where he tries to stop drivers turning right at a busy junction where they go on the wrong side of a keep left sign and island instead of waiting for traffic to clear.
I haven't seen this particular video; maybe it was kept private due to this ongoing court case. But the jury seem to have swallowed the defence story that CM threw himself onto the bonnet of the accused's Range Rover before being carried on it for 20 yards.
At least the incident resulted in the driver getting 3 points and a fine after pleading guilty to failing to comply with the keep left sign; which had previously been dealt with at a magistrate's court.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You're correct, it's juries' infathomable decision making.

How it can be acceptable to a jury for someone to drive a RR through CM in this fashion is beyond me. Charged with dangerous rather than careless, perhaps careless would have got through.

We can't second guess their reasoning. A good call by the driver to put it to a jury rather than leaving it in the magistrates.

AndyRM

XOXO
To be fair there was a certain amount of unnecessary clinging to the bonnet involved, which can't have helped.

Agreed, and threatening the fella who got out, with a clenched fist, towards the end won't have done him any favours either.

I'm not a cammer myself, never felt the need to be. And in a way I do admire and respect some elements of what cammers do. But you seriously have to make sure your own behaviour is absolutely beyond the pale before making accusations/taking things further otherwise you just look like a bit of a pillock.

Was there ever a need to stand in front of the vehicle and or hold on to it. His camera has already captured the offence. Vigilanteism tends to go thru a cycle. There is an initial appreciation and recognition. It then goes to the head thinking that society wants and have empowered them to do more.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Agreed, and threatening the fella who got out, with a clenched fist, towards the end won't have done him any favours either.

I'm not a cammer myself, never felt the need to be. And in a way I do admire and respect some elements of what cammers do. But you seriously have to make sure your own behaviour is absolutely beyond the pale before making accusations/taking things further otherwise you just look like a bit of a pillock.

It hampered his ability to call 999 for one thing which, bearing in mind I've got a lot of respect for Mikey, was quite funny. I don't see the point, once he's been hit it's been clear the driver is disregarding his safety, he's got the evidence, he's got the reg number, it's time to let go. Literally.

I get that a panic response may have kicked in but he does this all the time, he needs to be prepared for this eventuality and know exactly what he's going to do.

Northern Echo link.

I wasn't previously aware of this incident, which happened in September 2021 near Regents Park, London. Presumably at the corner featured in a lot of CM's videos, where he tries to stop drivers turning right at a busy junction where they go on the wrong side of a keep left sign and island instead of waiting for traffic to clear.
I haven't seen this particular video; maybe it was kept private due to this ongoing court case. But the jury seem to have swallowed the defence story that CM threw himself onto the bonnet of the accused's Range Rover before being carried on it for 20 yards.
At least the incident resulted in the driver getting 3 points and a fine after pleading guilty to failing to comply with the keep left sign; which had previously been dealt with at a magistrate's court.

So he wasn't a Doctor on his way to an emergency as his mate claimed then. There's a shock.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That verdict will certainly embolden all entitled drivers who tho think cyclists are scum and shouldn't be on the road without having number plates and insurance. Might even encourage them to try a similar trick.

icowden

Veteran
The key thing with this is the very poor reporting. Paul Lyon Maris was not found innocent of the charge. He was not exonerated for his poor behavior. What happened was that the Jury did not agree that there was sufficient evidence presented to find him guilty. Lyon Maris will have been able to afford a very expensive, top rated Barrister who managed to dance his way around the charge and present enough doubt that the Jury decided they could not convict.

It's a real shame for CyclingMikey, but it's a bigger shame that the press are portraying him as deliberately trying to entrap Lyon Maris.

Top Bottom