"Cycling Mikey" loses court case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hard to see how a campaigner trapping motorists who break the law using their phones is ever going to calm and quiet, although most seem to accept it as a 'fair cop'.

Because what people who don't do it for fame and notoriety would do is simply film the offence and submit it to the authorities.

What spineless, self appointed, egotistical cowards that hide behind cameras do is wait in a spot well known for rule breaking and with camera running confront people in order to make a name for themselves.

How many hoody wearing, illegal, footpath riding scooters does he stop?

None I guess 'cos he'd get a good slap!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like Mikey is going to get a bit of competition from the Old Bill themselves as it introduces these camera equipped mobile units to catch the poor unsuspecting motorists on their phones or not wearing a belt.

View: https://youtu.be/BrBBdB5UUsU

mustang1

Legendary Member
Because what people who don't do it for fame and notoriety would do is simply film the offence and submit it to the authorities.

What spineless, self appointed, egotistical cowards that hide behind cameras do is wait in a spot well known for rule breaking and with camera running confront people in order to make a name for themselves.

How many hoody wearing, illegal, footpath riding scooters does he stop?

None I guess 'cos he'd get a good slap!

That's a bit like those government-funded GATSO cameras that are only put in places where it is known that drivers break the rules. Pah, and those pesky RLJ cameras too, why would they be placed somewhere where drivers break the rules. I suppose it's the same things for CM, he lurks where drivers do break the rules like the GATSO cameras, otherwise what's the point.

If CM was more of a vigilante, instead of a camera, he might choose one of those stingers that blow out the tyres!

That's a bit like those government-funded GATSO cameras that are only put in places where it is known that drivers break the rules. Pah, and those pesky RLJ cameras too, why would they be placed somewhere where drivers break the rules. I suppose it's the same things for CM, he lurks where drivers do break the rules like the GATSO cameras, otherwise what's the point.

If CM was more of a vigilante, instead of a camera, he might choose one of those stingers that blow out the tyres!

Camera's are non confrontational and using a stinger would be criminal damage so a ridiculous comparison really.

It's the hard on he gets from confronting people when he knows they're being filmed that I find cowardly, as already said why not find some young untraceable hoody wearing scooter riders to approach?

I saw a video of him turning around to confront some young kids for calling him a name, they were about 14/15 and he ended with the phrase "grow a pair " the bloke's a fame seeking nause!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Camera's are non confrontational and using a stinger would be criminal damage so a ridiculous comparison really.

It's the hard on he gets from confronting people when he knows they're being filmed that I find cowardly, as already said why not find some young untraceable hoody wearing scooter riders to approach?

I saw a video of him turning around to confront some young kids for calling him a name, they were about 14/15 and he ended with the phrase "grow a pair " the bloke's a fame seeking nause!

Have to admit I find him intensely irritating any of his videos I have watched.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Paul Lyon Maris was not found innocent of the charge. He was not exonerated for his poor behavior. What happened was that the Jury did not agree that there was sufficient evidence presented to find him guilty. Lyon Maris will have been able to afford a very expensive, top rated Barrister who managed to dance his way around the charge and present enough doubt that the Jury decided they could not convict.

Watching the video I can imagine how they came to that conclusion. Reading Lyon-Maris' defence as reported in that article, he's clearly being a drama queen and talking bollocks, however, it's very difficult to see exactly what happened at the beginning of the encounter and later on you can see that Mikey gets off the bonnet, but then climbs back on and grabs it again rather than simply moving to a safe position. That could be enough to make one doubt his motivation at the start.

Maybe, just maybe if we'd seen the beginning of the video with the car moving forward towards him and less of the bonnet gymnastics and smartwatch farce, there may have been a different outcome.

I generally regard Mikey as goodhearted and a bit of an eccentric and I watch his videos for a laugh, but I don't think he's done himself any favours with this one.

mustang1

Legendary Member

I do understand your POV. Suppose CM confronted both the scooter riders and the car drivers. Would that be ok then?

I do think he goes over the top

The people he targets are breaking the law - but he feels entitled to confront them even if there is no clear harm being
done

The 'Gandalf Corner' stuff is a definite offence and a lot of the videos I have watched show drivers going WAY over the top rather than just reversing and going the right way round
There is never an excuse to just drive forward into him - however much of a prat he is being

But i have seen him confront people looking at a phone in a stationary traffic jam - OK clearly offence - but no harm because the car isn't moving

If he toned down his attitude I would have more sympathy for him

does seem like he pushed it too far in this incident

As far as the comments about hoody wearing scooter riders (etc etc - you could easily include cyclist running red lights) then what can he do - he can't identify them easily and the chances of prosecution are negligible even if he gets a shot of their face!

Top Bottom