Dreadful Day's Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I had a dreadful day yesterday, worst day on the bike so far - decided to go out and "try" some hills in prep for the Etape Caledonia - didn't feel right from the off but decided to push through it, went up through Dunning Glen and coped, was ok up to about 30 miles but then climbed back over by Path of Condie - avoided the 12% hill only to encounter a 1:8 instead! Managed up it (slowly) but then ran out of energy and puff, made my way back down to Milnathort and a very slow ride back to Kelty where, I'm ashamed to say my wife phoned (as I'd been out a lot longer than expected) and offered to pick me up and I readily took her up on the offer :blush: - first time ever. I WOULD have made it home under my own steam but the last 10 miles would have taken me at least an hour, so I gave in.

I was cold most of the way round (a bit underdressed for the wind and temp) and I don't think I stopped enough at the beginning to eat/drink which all contributed. Was a bit demoralised yesterday but have decided to put it down as just a bad day (hopefully). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced a crap day, unfortunately I couldn't put it down to a mechanical failure - just a physical one! Look forward to better days ahead.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Crap days- we all get 'em pal.

Col5632

Guru
Went out on saturday and didnt feel amazing either, wind up to kelty really didnt help but pushed through, shame on you taking the lift :cycle:

I would defo just put it down to a bad day :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Went out on saturday and didnt feel amazing either, wind up to kelty really didnt help but pushed through, shame on you taking the lift :cycle:

I would defo just put it down to a bad day :thumbsup:

Yes! For-shame on me. I normally would never have considered it but I honestly was in pain all over, almost phoned to get her to meet me at Kinross but resisted, never been so glad as when she phoned and offered - by that point I was just feeling sorry for myself. Felt chuffed having done Dunning Glen but the road back over by Path of Condie to Milnathort was hellish, getting a bit worried about the Etape now but I think I'll ease off on the big rides and try to approach it fresh.

ACS

Legendary Member
What about looking at it the other way round? Dunning is probably one of the most challenging climbs in the area (IMO of course) rated as a Cat 3. If you have conquered it while feeling absolute pants, what’s the Etape going to throw at you?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Always good to get a bad day in before a Sportive. Gets it out of the way.

Practically, the day will always be better, as you will be riding in a group (hopefully), fuelled better, and with a bit more support. Doing better than before will give you a psychological lift, which means that you will cope with fatigue better/notice it less. And a bad day will result in your body making some necessary changes to make you stronger.

Nothing bad about having a bad day. Unless you let it beat you.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I went out Saturday for a ride, for some reason I too didn't feel right from the off. Got to a T-junction where you turn right for the country spaces or left to head back to Bromley, yup .... I turned left for the comfort of a expresso in the new cycle centre at the top of Crystal Palace. I ended up doing 16 miles instead of about 30 but I didn't feel cut up about it because I knew I wasn't in the right mindset.
Don't worry too much about it Fubar, like folk said, we all have our iffy days.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Cheers everyone - feeling sorry for myself so need to share. Here are my route and stats if interested, feel a bit better knowing I climbed up to 329 metres (1079 feet). Onwards and upwards! Regards, Mark

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hmmm, reviewing my ride from Sunday I climbed up to 883ft, dropped to 402ft then back up to 1056ft, then down to 53ft and back up to 841ft! No wonder I was knackered!! Still feel bad about giving up but feeling a bit better about the ride now.

ACS

Legendary Member
Hmmm, reviewing my ride from Sunday I climbed up to 883ft, dropped to 402ft then back up to 1056ft, then down to 53ft and back up to 841ft! No wonder I was knackered!! Still feel bad about giving up but feeling a bit better about the ride now.

Are taking part in the Sportive on Saturday?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Are taking part in the Sportive on Saturday?

Is that the Kinross Sportive? I didn't know about it until recently, looks good (but hard), maybe consider that one for next year... :thumbsup: Are you doing it??

Reactions: ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
Is that the Kinross Sportive? I didn't know about it until recently, looks good (but hard), maybe consider that one for next year... :thumbsup: Are you doing it??

That's a bit of a shame always good to catch up with forumites in person.

Yes, did it last year on the black route, same again this year. I'm using the event as a leg tester for the Snow Roads Audax in June. Anyone else making an appearance on Saturday?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
That's a bit of a shame always good to catch up with forumites in person.

Yes, did it last year on the black route, same again this year. I'm using the event as a leg tester for the Snow Roads Audax in June. Anyone else making an appearance on Saturday?

I've done the Black Route - just happened to be 2 weekends apart! :laugh: Col, Scooch and I cycled from Kinross over Lomond and up to Newburgh, then back by Glenfarg - Sunday past I went up and over Dunning Glen then back by Path of Condie. Looks a harder route than the Etape Caledonia!

Top Bottom