dream super bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Ye of little faith! I think it's a great idea and the OP should be encouraged. It it wasn't for such optimism and innovation we'd all be driving around in cars made out of boulders like off of the Flintstones.

I have no idea if you're being serious here, but I'll go out on a limb and agree with this statement.

Who knows what the OPs ideas will result in? I doubt very much that he'll achieve his goal, but it's possible that he'll make a small contribution to our understanding and knowledge of bike design, that someone else (and then someone else...) can build on.

Without people who aren't afraid to pursue new and apparently unworkable ideas in the face of ridicule we would be a much poorer race.

I have no idea if you're being serious here, but I'll go out on a limb and agree with this statement.

Who knows what the OPs ideas will result in? I doubt very much that he'll achieve his goal, but it's possible that he'll make a small contribution to our understanding and knowledge of bike design, that someone else (and then someone else...) can build on.

Without people who aren't afraid to pursue new and apparently unworkable ideas in the face of ridicule we would be a much poorer race.

the guy wants to ride at 30mph - but doesn't understand that current bicycle design and gearing is NOT a limiter in achieving this. So he's going to build himself a 'dream superbike' and on his first ride, he will be overtaken by some bloke on a 1992 Raleigh Lizard who happens to be fitter than he is.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
oddly I,m quite happy with my cycle speed - on the flat bits I get to 17mph but they are few, the terrain I cycle over , off road/on track/on road , up and down hill & dale the bike would be useless,
I was going to get aerobars but I wouldn,t use them, I don,t do flat straight bits enough.

but as a commute machine it would be ace.

I think its going to need a 2 stage chainset, a smaller set for low speed and hills then a link to the high speed set
Im looking for a motorbike look, solid wheels front and back and a fairing over drive wheel. drop handlebars.
I have no illusions about the drive resistance - and thats the thing I can,t calculate
the drag I probably can calculate , - Ive got a program for aircraft, don,t know if it goes to such pifling speeds.
the only way is to build it and see.

I will invite you all to stand and laugh as I fall off,

Go for it!

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Hi
If your intersted attached is drawing with the math.
the concept drawing at the end is an idea to encase the bike in samsonite plastic shell , solid wheels front and back, windscreen to rider (you can hide instruments,speedo,byc computer, satnav ect behind it)
- a bit like ww1 aircraft struts and wires - to ww2 smooth body shell, - its that 55.5%(very approx) resistance that needs working on.
also much of the structure could be built into the body shell (like the monococ body of the albertrose fighter were the skin held the body shape so reducing formers and struts to the fuselage)
the front wheel would need shocks , the riders stearing handgrips would be movable to change the riders position to more upright - whilst cycling. it would include lights and indicators(led) generator , automatic gears to both drives, retractable stabeleriser wheels so when stopped you don,t have to put your feet down. disc brakes linked to opperate in unison.
and do 30mph at average pedaling. - shouldn,t weigh much more than an off road bike - but hopefully the streamlining will equal out the increase in weight.

also with the big drive wheel , if you add a weight to one side you can increase its centrafugal drive , but of course you would have to gear it so you could stop without sitting on the brakes.

the only worry is you may need legs of an elephant to drive the dam thing ! - but only testing will tell.
I think clever gearing will be necessery to allow the rider to build up the speed.

constructive comment welcome , if you just want to throw insults , don,t bother nothing anyones said so far even comes close to my wifes comments and put downs about my ideas.

as haggar the horrible said
For this task we need - men who can face hardship, disappointment and constant critism - we need MARRIED MEN.

cheers guys

Attachments

• super bike-Model.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 38

Zakalwe

Damn it, I was really expecting something drawn in crayon, but some works actually gone into that so fair play. It's not a million miles away from Obree's new experiment, you've got a a stretched position and a fairing so you're on the right track - from earlier posts I thought you were just going to put an 80t chainring on a crank and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I,m not the only one who,s thinking outside the box. - this is by puegot.
To tell the truth I remember seeing something like what I,ve come up with back in 1983 when I was a design student, but the mechanics weren,t there and it may have ben an electric bike.
but then I also the Bug Cars and the Kia as concept cars back then to.

Attachments

• puegot-concept-bicycle1.jpg
    puegot-concept-bicycle1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom