Dream Touring Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having done the Scandinavia thing (found £10 slice of chocolate cake & my mum did find a £15 glass of beer in Oslo if that counts) and gone as far north as I can on mainland Europe & inlcuded the Lofoten Islands (fantastic), Kirkenes & Grense Jakovselv on the Barent's Sea, I would love to do any of the following:
  • Iceland
  • Kazakhstan & Mongolia
  • Tibet (pay for that cycling guide!)
  • Siberia has always taken my fancy, so may be across Russia?
  • Pamir Highway (to include Iran, Turkmenistan (pay for guide so can stay longer than 5 days), Afghanistan (again paying for a guide so it can happen), Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Krygyrstan (or some variation of that spelling),)
  • Alaska to 'the bottom' of South America.
It will be one of the bottom 2 that we do next. Same touring bikes, Thorn Nomad mk II's with Rohloff hubs. Same equipment including Hilleberg Nammatj tent, but I might treat myself to a newer camera if the finance was unlimited. Perhaps even make life easier and arrange for a support vehicle from time to time, so changing kit when the season changes can be a touch easier: it would also deal with the issues of obtaining medication periodically; the support crew could sort that for me! they could even do the laundry and free up that spare day for sightseeing rather than sitting in a tent with no clothes waiting for them to dry whilst I write up the journal!

hoopdriver

Guru
I have lived in Denmark for 9 years and have never spent a tenner on a pint of beer. Are you mad? I am a Yorkshireman.

We buy 3 X36 cans of beer for a tenner at the border shops.

It does get more expensive the further north you get. But it also gets colder and wetter, so who wants to go there anyway?

Steve
Go to Norway. Go up to Lofoten. You can drop a tenner on a pint up there, easy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Like I said, it gets colder and more expensive the further North you go, why you want to go there ^_^

Rich, once you have done a few tours with the weight of the cans it gets easier. Making the bike lighter is all part of the fun.

Norway is the only palce I have known where they sell cucumbers in quarters because they are so expensive. That in itself is a reason not to go there ^_^

If you want nice mountains go to Italy, it is warmer, the food and drink are nicer and it is cheaper.

Steve

bubbles3

if i had the length of time off work i'd start with touring around the coast of ireland. but i'd probably do it B&B, and i'd be happy to tour alone. (i think,never having toured before.)

samid

Guru
I would love to do a tour of Ireland and Scotland, solo, camping, for maybe 5 weeks or so. (As it is, I am currently planning to go to Scotland next spring but I won't have the time to include Ireland I'm afraid...)

Brandane

Legendary Member
if I could just set off and go then I would like to have a go at riding across Canada in a similar sort of way as HelenD123 did a couple years back

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/HelendoesCanada2010

This one for me too! No camping, as I don't fancy my chances v. a grizzly bear. Bearing in mind the OP stipulated no issues with money, then it would be a lightweight credit card tour across Canada west to east, staying in nice hotels along the way.

lulubel

Über Member
This might sound boring to your experienced tourers, but I haven't toured before, so my ambitions only extend as far as ALL of Europe!

Since I'm in love with my Surly, I'd probably buy a Disc Trucker and use my unrestricted finances to kit myself out with expensive, lightweight camping gear. I'd put all my possessions in storage, hand in my notice on my apartment, and not really have any plans beyond the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'd camp mostly, but get out my credit card and stay in a warm, dry hotel if the weather got too inhospitable. If I fancied staying in one place for a bit longer, I'd try to get a deal on a multi-night stay at a campsite, longer than that and I'd rent a furnished apartment, and if I really found a place I wanted to stay for a long time, I'd find somewhere to rent and get my furniture out of storage for it.

I'd carry a tablet PC so I could keep in touch with the world, and have a dynamo hub to charge it. I'd use it to find out what other people were doing, and see if there was anyone I could meet up with for parts of my trip. The only other non-essential I'd carry is my Kindle, because it's much nicer to read on than a backlit screen, and I'd probably do a lot of reading.

To be honest, it isn't far from what I hope to really do in the future. It will just take more planning because I'll have to keep my business running while I'm travelling.

JC4LAB

Japan is somehwhere different to try if you like culture shock...Cherryblossom season. Mt.Fujiand the nearby lakes etc. Buddhist monastries where you can stay(near Osaka)..Capsule hotels..Kyoto ..its all wonderful

hoopdriver

Guru
Norway is indeed pricey - mind bogglingly so - but Lofoten, in the far north, is absolutely stunning. And with 24 hour daylight in mid summer you can ride late at 'night' and ave the road to yourself.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm looking at an Irish tour next year. But if I could just set off and go then I would like to have a go at riding across Canada in a similar sort of way as HelenD123 did a couple years back

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/HelendoesCanada2010
^_^ It was amazing. Looking back it was pretty dangerous at times though, cycling with trucks whizzing past. If money had been no object I'd have stayed in motels more and had a few more meals out but I'd never have ditched the camping and cooking altogether. A 5* hotel tour just doesn't appeal.

Sara_H

Guru
I'd just lke to go, anywhere!

Many of my friends went off travelling when we were younger but I was very sensible and stayed at home. I always had an idea that I'd retire early and travel the world, however the government have decided I must work til I drop dead, so it's probably not going to be :sad:

Top Bottom