Drifting when in secondary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Veteran
I use a variety of bikes for my 20 mile (each way commute) and have noticed that it is a lot easier to maintian primary/secondary position on the recumbent than it is on the other bikes. With the other bikes I tend to subconsiously "drift" towards the nearside, the mountain bike being the worst with the Brompton second and the Tricross mostly maintaining the correct psotion.

Is it just me or do others "drift" if they're on different bikes?

Adasta

I find that when I get tired, I drift. Usually towards the kerb. As soon as I notice myself doing it, I start doing more shoulder checks and attempt to correct the line I'm taking.

Furkz

Über Member
you definitely notice when you turn off a straight road onto a cambered road. i do a lot of country lane riding and notice this quite a bit

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's so much easier to hold position on a recumbent - they scare most drivers, whereas on a normal bike many more drivers will get up close and pushy.

Tommi

I only ride my hybrid and occasional boris bikes, but I'm fairly sure it's an instinctive reaction to subjective safety; while riding fast enough to keep up with the cars it feels best to stay well away from the gutter and slower cyclists (assuming you've learned to plan ahead) - however when you are significantly slower than cars you have the pressing feeling of holding them up and (subconsciously) just want to get yourself out of their way / them get past you as soon as possible. I'm guessing recumbent has enough metal surrounding you to make you feel more protected.

I would guess it's something to do with angle of observation. On the recumbent you're looking over your toes, further down the road, and actually harder to see how close you are to the curb. Whereas on the mtb, you're looking down over the bars making it easier to navigate closer to the curb, even though you don't want to be in that position.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My last bike always seemed to have a Lee helm - a tendency to drift towards the middle of the road. The bikes before that tended to drift the other way.

Maybe something to do with frame geometry and slight variations from the perfect in-line aim. Maybe something to do with the position of the wheels in the forks. Never managed to work it out.

I think it is sub-conscious - a bit of auto pilot- you tend to move in because a spot about a 1m from the edge is just a nice comfortable place to ride - Im pretty diligent about riding in a good strong position in traffic - the sign that I am not is that the passes start to get closer - a mental slap to the back of the head soon sorts it out

Ashaman42

Über Member
I find I do the same on my motorbike unless I concentrate. As I slow I tend to get nearer the kerb. Something my instructor noted when I was learning and I'm working on not doing it.

Top Bottom