Drilling carbon frame for Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I am upgrading a Bianchi Intenso for DI2 and need to drill cable access for the RD and FD.
I assume I can open out the existing hole for the FD wire to get the FD ewire through from the inside, but to get the ewire through to the RD, I will have to drill the chain stay somewhere along its length.

The is a tiny breather hole in the end, near the drop out, that might be able to get opened out, otherwise I will have to drill and grommet about half way along the chain stay.

Anyone any experience of doing this?

ugly alternative would be to run the ewires along the outside and cable tie them.
Extremely bad idea. Get the external cables or go for eTap instead.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@TVC used to extol the virtues of duck tape .

download.png

download.jpeg

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 34

Syd

It depends.

I drilled a carbon bike to fit Di2 three years ago and it’s done many thousands of miles with no ill effect on the frame.

In my case what I was drilling out were metal inserts in the frame that formed the mechanical cable holes and not the actual carbon itself.

My intenso must be a newer frame than yours as it came fitted with Di2 and a kit to convert the holes back for mechanical if it was desired in the future.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Duct tape was the original. The name has been mispronounced and bastardised, and then reused itself over the decades. That's what I once read in The Beano.
I used to work for an adhesive tape manufacturer many years ago. Absolutely under no circumstances could you then call it "duck tape". It was strictly "duct tape"
And don't get me started on "polythene tape" which I was told at that company should always be called "polyethylene tape", "polythene" being a brand name

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I was kidding. Of course Duck Tape doesn't dissolve carbon. Duck tape breathes life into everything it touches. ;)

I've just ordered a huge roll to cover my entire body - thanks for the tip. :smile:

simongt

Guru
Just to muddy the waters, this tape was developed during WW2 by Johnson & Johnson for the American military, who needed a strong waterproof tape to seal ammunition cases with. The backing cloth they used was cotton duck, a very strong cotton canvas much loved by we older members when used for saddlebags & panniers. :thumbsup: So thus it should be called 'duck' tape, as it was referred to by G.I.s. Why 'duct' tape - ? mishearing, mispronunciation, who knows - ? :whistle:
Then there's gaffer tape; similar thing used in the entertainment industry for holding down lengths of lighting etc. cables on stages. But, gaffer tape is designed not to leave any sticky residue behind, so the difference is subtle but it's there. Depends how pedantic you want to be. :becool:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wouldn't bother me, drilling my frame for a wire, both of mine have several.
Obviously not a great big one tho.

Not like it needs to be rust proofed

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I used to work for an adhesive tape manufacturer many years ago. Absolutely under no circumstances could you then call it "duck tape". It was strictly "duct tape"
And don't get me started on "polythene tape" which I was told at that company should always be called "polyethylene tape", "polythene" being a brand name
Polythene is not a brand name.

Ethylene was the old name for C2H4, but the current IUPAC name is ethene. Therefore the polymer would be poly-ethene which gets shortened to polythene. poly(ethylene) still exists in IUPAC, mainly because a lot of people still use the old name

Top Bottom