Drilling holes in a frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm wondering about internal and external bike cables. If you have a bike with external cables and you wanted to hide them, could you drill holes in the frame and turn it into a hidden cables frame? For example would it be ok to drill through a £2000 carbon fibre frame?

Is it 1st April?

NO!

Jaykun85

im Gonna say no, as if you put holes in wrong place would create weak points that could cause fractures and end up breaking the frame if you just start drilling holes into it.
I would say pop into local shop that builds bikes and knows about it they may have ways to convert it, never know till you ask :smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
im Gonna say no, as if you put holes in wrong place would create weak points that could cause fractures and end up breaking the frame if you just start drilling holes into it.
I would say pop into local shop that builds bikes and knows about it they may have ways to convert it, never know till you ask :smile:

I'm not after doing it. I was just wondering what would happen if you did.:smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm not after doing it. I was just wondering what would happen if you did.:smile:

A lighter bike, don't just stop at cable entry and exit points - go all out.

486862d1254537624-professionally-drilled-frame-drilled.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes as long as you drill them in the right place. I have just done it on a Cervelo but only for wiring Di2. I would not run brake or gear cables through a frame.:okay:
The hole i drilled has the grommet in it. The two cables are original, This part of the frame has been reinforced for the cables.
grommet.jpg

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Leaving aside the frame weakening issue, how would you get the cable to come through? Frames designed for it have internal tubes that serve the same purpose as cable outer.

There are many ways of getting the cables through.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are many ways of getting the cables through.
All of which must remain secret ...! :okay:

I suggest glueing some strong cotton onto a trained flea and get that to take it through for you. Use the cotton to pull something stronger through, and use that to pull the cable through.

If I had to improvise my own method, I would tie the cotton onto a small wad of cottonwool and use a vacuum cleaner to suck that through to the other hole. Pull the cottonwool through with tweezers if the vaccuum cleaner couldn't do it. It might be fiddly, but I reckon that I could get that to work.

I still wouldn't want to be drilling holes in my frame though!

Venod

Eh up
When hidden brake cables on the handlebars first became popular we used to drill aluminium bars to route the cables through the bars rather than under he tape, the bars were not recessed like nowadays, I can't recall any breakages, but it must have weakened the bars, I woudn't do it to a frame, although you might do it with less worry if it is titanium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom