Drills - The DIY variety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

Bit of a DIY dilemma - I had a Black & Decker quattro which is a rechargeable multi tool (drill, screwdriver, sander and jigsaw). I don't do a lot of DIY (none in the pass 3-4 years!!!!) but now find I need to do something simple - however, on dusting off the tool, I find the battery can't hold a charge and I need a new drill - Current task is to drill a few holes and hang up new curtain rails.

I am debating between a cordless (do I want to be stung again? or has it improved?) vs a corded. Machinemart has what looks like a good corded Ryobi for 63 quid including 200 drill bits and pieces (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...mmer-drill-special/path/end-of-line-clearance)

and then stumbled upon a Ryobi starter kit rechargeable for a good price (drill and jigsaw, two batteries and charger) for 100 quid (most places advertise around the 150 mark for this. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96817/Power-Tools/Kits/Ryobi-One-Combi-Drill-Cordless-Jigsaw-18V

Both seem good and I must admit I don't do a lot of DIY if I can manage it - but when I do some I would like to have a good tool for the job as it makes it a lot easier.

Milo

Guru
Get yourself a makita cordless.

Milo

Guru
Yea rubbish I burnt one out once. makitas are the dogs bits. there rattle guns are amazing.
Should be able to get a decent makita cordless for about the £140 mark (I think).

col

Legendary Member
I would go for a mains one,and a long extention,no problems with batteries,or power from the tool,Rechargers have their place,but i prefer mains.

Chris James

Über Member
Can't you get a new battery for the Black and Decker? I have a vested interest as I also have a Quattro although mine has done a fair bit and seems to be going strong ... touch wood.

k-dog

You will always get more power for way less money with a corded one - so if it's just for the occasional job that would do you fine.

You have to spend quite a bit more to get a decent cordless drill that will be good for putting holes in walls - rather than a glorified screwdriver.

Black and Decker seem to be good at changing their battery system every few years so that none of it is compatible anymore...

OP
OP
A

ak88

Makita sounds good but way out of my budget and justification. Was looking at 50-60 for a drill. The rechargeable Ryobi I linked to includes a jigsaw (I do use a jigsaw) and at the 100 quid price seems a like a bargain hence the justification for looking at that. I can buy a battery for the Quattro but I have seen them for 30+ so for another 20-30 I can have a new drill and hopefully no the issues involved with the B & D.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
longers said:
I've got the drill and it's a decent bit of kit.

very high quality for the price. i dropped mine 25ft onto the concrete drive, and it still works:biggrin:

and at 18v, got lots of nuts

Zoiders

The Ryobi would do but I wouldnt buy from Machinemart as they over charge

Makita kit is very good, Dewalt kit is also, quality wise there is very little between them, the big problem is that Dewalt are completely shoot at warranty cover so if it does break you get stiffed, they also have a nasty habit of not bothering to issue recalls on kit that is known to be dodgy

To be honest if you dont want a trade standard cordless hammer drill which will set you back £200 plus then I would buy one of B&Qs own brand cordless hammer drills from there own trade range for around £70

They are rebadged Ryobis and the warranty is 3 years, you cant loose, it breaks you get a new one, after 3 years it will have paid for its self.

People will go on at you about getting the best etc and they would be right, I sell power tools for a living myself - Bosch,Makita,Hitatchi,AEG,Dewalt,Milwaulki etc etc, I could recomend you a tool for any job you like from any one of these manufacturers, but at the end of the day you have to justify the expense versus the amount of use it will see, plus the spectre of it being stolen from your garage.

Top Bottom