Drills - The DIY variety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Try Axminster power tools. Always great advice.

Very good shout. I forgot about them people. I've got a router and a biscuit jointer from them. Excellent value for money.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought that same Ryobi drill and jigsaw set a couple of years ago (though I think I paid less) and it's excellent - the chuck works well and allows quick changeover of bits, the trigger is fantastically progressive, the reverse lever is easy to operate without moving your hand off the grip. The drill is tough and is standing up well to abuse. My only criticism is that the batteries do lose charge in storage and the drill isn't that powerful; for really heavy jobs I sometimes end up reverting to my old B&D mains drill. The jigsaw is useful on the rare occasions when I need it and it works fine, though the blades are a little wide for going round tight corners, when they tend to smoke a bit.

bonj2

makita are not just better than some other brands, they are THE best, but if you can't afford one a standard black and decker 'drill shaped' drill should be fine.
One of the ones with a big battery that plugs into the bottom.

This style:

02234a.jpg

I had a black and decker quattro free off freecycle, and while it worked for about 10 minutes I now know why they were giving it away as it had exactly the same problem, battery was crap.

De Walt are a subsid of B&D. I wouldn't touch either for lecky screwdrivers or drills. I cant say I have any experience with Makita but they do have a great reputation amongst plumbers. I've got Bosch (green domestic rather than blue trade). A 14.4v screwdriver, an 18v hammer and a 240v SDS. Built a loft conversion with them amongst other things, great ergonomics, reliable and strong. Mates who've bought B&Q own brand have switched to Bosch after trying mine. The only issues Ive had have been through battery neglect, don't hide them away in a cupboard for months on end. I keep my batteries and chargers on the bench so I can monitor their condition.

Slowgrind

If you can`t borrow one for one job then I suggest getting the cheapest 240v from Argos or any DIY outlet and stuff it back in the cupboard for the next 3-4 years. If it`s for a tough job then hire one for the day or weekend.

Abitrary

I'd be wary of any cheap cordless drill, and most ones in general if you want a versatile drill.

Get a cheap 800w corded one and you can use it on masonry and to smash apart obstinate pieces of rock a bit like a kango.

Zoiders

"makita are not just better than some other brands, they are THE best"

Bonj, I would really like you to quantify this statement by explaining to the forum exactly what experience you have with all of the other trade brands?

None by any chance?

domtyler

Über Member
All my power tools are De Walt, the 14.4V Combi and the 7V screw driver make an awesome team for general household tasks, putting flat pack furniture together takes minutes rather than hours. I must admit that I was swayed by the natty black and yellow scheme when choosing my brand :blush:

That said I have never had any trouble with any of the tools and they are always a delight to use; like any well made, quality, professional standard kit.

If however you are after maximum bang for your buck then I would have to recommend you buy a corded SDS plus hammer, it will drill holes in your walls just by looking at it. The problem is when you get carried away with a small demolition task and s,uddenly find, half an hour later that your house no longer exists! ;):biggrin:

One tool trying to do lots of jobs is a pain. You keep having to change from saw to drill to screwdriver and it is a real problem.

I have a Band D cordless screwdriver that i am really pleased with and it tackles more than I thought it would (just about everything)

I think go for a good rechargable of the thing you will use the most and get cheapish mains versions of all the others. Cheap mains tools are OK but cheap battery ones perhaps not so. I got a really good sander for £14 which is great for the amount I will use it.

Given the power you will need for a drill I have doubts that a battery drill will be up to a lot of jobs.

snorri

Legendary Member
ak88 said:
Both seem good and I must admit I don't do a lot of DIY if I can manage it - but when I do some I would like to have a good tool for the job as it makes it a lot easier.

Buyers of power tools are victims of the advertising agencies.;)
Get yourself a Stanley hand drill, it will need a drop of oil now and again, otherwise maintenance free. No batteries to let you down, no cables to trip over, can be used in awkward positions with little space, even works underwater.:blush:

Top Bottom