Drink bottles on the bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I was a nipper, there was a trend for having the drink bottles on the handlebars, and straws in the nozzle so you could have a quick slurp without much effort.

I can see an aero dynamic issue or even one of grip, but nothing that couldn't be resolved, but why did the trend stop?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Aero.jpg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Still see it on sometimes on TT bikes but in reality drink systems with straws/tubes have evolved along with everything else. Its not generally good to carry weight up top, the lower you get it in the frame the better.
Some bikes such as the Specialized SHiV have a drinks module contained within the frame itself and tubes going up to the bars.
1317889023623-12ybl9rju1y6c-670-70.jpg

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Still see it on sometimes on TT bikes but in reality drink systems with straws/tubes have evolved along with everything else. Its not generally good to carry weight up top, the lower you get it in the frame the better.
Some bikes such as the Specialized SHiV have a drinks module contained within the frame itself and tubes going up to the bars.
1317889023623-12ybl9rju1y6c-670-70.jpg
I didn't see the picture at first and was wondering how they kept it all sterile. Again, I guess the issue for the Pro's is keeping it topped up.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To refill you take a bidon, push it into the valve next to where the straw/tube exits and squeeze it. You can refill on the move, in one go then you can ride without breaking aero position for a long time. Better than sitting up repeatedly.

The Shiv with integrated hydration system is beyond ugly, it is criminal, it is also not UCI legal, it is a triathlon specific frame.

Mr Haematocrit

I guess the issue there for such as the TDF would be filling it/replacement?

I did wonder if weight distribution could be an issue, but it seems not.

The bladder for drinks is removable from the frame as it states here.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/Shiv.jsp

Edit... beaten to it by Rob3rt : Its a triathlon specific frame set as its not uci complient, the uci version of the frame lacks the fluid module

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am tempted by a drinks system for between my bars on TT bike, they look lame and I don't want to look like a triathlete, but the time saving from not having to sit up when the weather is very hot like this last week would be worth it I think. Last weekend I raced a 25 mile time trial, it was 26 degrees and I was boiling inside my aero lid, sitting up to drink was very cumbersome (mostly due to lack of practice).

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
To refill you take a bidon, push it into the valve next to where the straw/tube exits and squeeze it. You can refill on the move, in one go then you can ride without breaking aero position for a long time. Better than sitting up repeatedly.

The Shiv with integrated hydration system is beyond ugly, it is criminal, it is also not UCI legal, it is a triathlon specific frame.

Cheers, that's interesting. I had a feeling they must have looked at it somewhere. I've used a camel back and found being able to take regular sips of water a lot better than occasional glugs from the bottle. What is it that prevents them being compliant?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cheers, that's interesting. I had a feeling they must have looked at it somewhere. I've used a camel back and found being able to take regular sips of water a lot better than occasional glugs from the bottle. What is it that prevents them being compliant?

Probably exceeds the 3:1 ratio rules in order to house the liquid reservoir?

Mr Haematocrit

Its the areo on the bike, UCI has limitation on bike dimensions and tube dimensions, it does not come close.

The image below shows you all the non compliment bits in yellow, but its a damn fast bike. They also make a uci compliment version though.
the-slow-march-towards-more-functional-triathlon-specific-bikes-thumb.png

Attachments

• the-slow-march-towards-more-functional-triathlon-specific-bikes-thumb.png
    the-slow-march-towards-more-functional-triathlon-specific-bikes-thumb.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom