Drink Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Since the pandemic i've managed to get into some bad ways with alchohol.

Basically, if it is in the house I drink it - Beer, Wine etc
When it's not in the house I will buy a few cans, and drink them all.
I can go a whole week without anything, but on a Friday I can down 4 cans of San Miguel and then I don't want to ride on the Saturday.
I HAVE to tone it down. If I buy less, or none, that helps.
I seem to have a reliance on it, and it so expensive to drink too.

The Euro 2020 matches havent helped, I seemed to think it was OK to watch nearly every match and to have lots of beer each time.

Arghhhh.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try stopping for a month. Or at least swapping to alcohol free?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a similar issue although i only drink 1 a day , if its in the house i will but if not i am not that bothered .I keep meaning to stop completely but when i am feeling down i reach for a can which is against how i used to be :sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I got into a similar situation during lockdown but I’ve now knocked it on the head. I’ve replaced it with home blended fruit juice and smoothies. We’re luck to have a very good blender and it reduces everything to juice. Also lucky to have cheap fresh fruit here, pineapple, mango, paw paw etc. Be more expensive there but cheaper than wine and beer. I don’t crave alcohol any more.
Alcohol is also bad for prostate if you have problems with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im similar. If its there, ill guzzle it. But curiously, if its not I don't shed a tear. A coupke times a year ill go months without touching a drop, so i guess im not dependent.

One thing I love more than Guinness...sparkling mineral water. I have a serious consumptuon problem with that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really, no. Im not teetotal but I often give up alcohol for the first few months of the year. Pre pandemic I’d happily go out to eat or to the pub with drinking friends. they never have an issue.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Try not to have much in the house, or work really hard to ration yourself to one a day, with a treat day once a week with a couple more. Luckily the only long sporting event left this summer is the olympics and you would have to really have a problem if you were drinking at 7am watching qualification of the last 16 of dressage (horse dancing). You could also try joining a cycling club and going out on the fast rides a few times a week. There is nothing like that to stop you drinking.

yello

I've stopped. A couple of years back. I miss it though; there's something about a slow, gentle descent into drunken silliness with friends that lifted me. Plus, it's not nice being the only non-drinker. I was at lunch with our neighbours at couple of weekends ago, our host got hammered and rambled on and on and on. It really wasn't much fun for me. Others (drinkers) were ok.

I had to stop though. Drink messed with my head too much; beyond the ordinary "gentle descent" that is. It started making me more anxious, more neurotic - as walls around my head closed in. It wasn't pleasant. So I called an end to the era. Fun while it lasted.

Making the transition is difficult with others that know you used to drink. They offer, look at you almost incredulous when you say 'no', ask for reasons, or guess at them... makes it that bit harder to abstain. Fortunately, the habit aspect of it has kicked in for me now. I think I'm happy with my non-drinker status.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've stopped. A couple of years back. I miss it though; there's something about a slow, gentle descent into drunken silliness with friends that lifted me. Plus, it's not nice being the only non-drinker. I was at lunch with our neighbours at couple of weekends ago, our host got hammered and rambled on and on and on. It really wasn't much fun for me. Others (drinkers) were ok.

I had to stop though. Drink messed with my head too much; beyond the ordinary "gentle descent" that is. It started making me more anxious, more neurotic - as walls around my head closed in. It wasn't pleasant. So I called an end to the era. Fun while it lasted.

Making the transition is difficult with others that know you used to drink. They offer, look at you almost incredulous when you say 'no', ask for reasons, or guess at them... makes it that bit harder to abstain. Fortunately, the habit aspect of it has kicked in for me now. I think I'm happy with my non-drinker status.
I agree that the transition can be difficult with others; I found "I'll just have one" didn't work. Instead I stopped completely three years ago, and just said " no thanks, no thanks, no, NO!"

I can't imagine starting again. I'm much more content like this.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Buy less, drink less. I'll give it a go. I wanted to do a month off, that was what I told myself, but I didn't last a week.
I guess like smoking, a gradual reduction is probably going to be more successful in the long run for me.
I am totally sick of it, I wan't to cut it down to a reasonable, normal, manageable and acceptable amount.

P.S. I don't get silly or drunk, I don't drink it all fast / at once, but it definately affects me and my family to a certain degree. I'll be a bt grumpy the next day rather than chilled and in control.

thanks all

Top Bottom