Drink Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D_97_goodtimes

Teamwork
Every now and then I read about someone who has lost lots of weight Or completed a marathon etc. My example concerns a chap who lost loads of weight. He spoke to the coach, attended all of the zoom sessions followed a diet plan, walked the kids to school. The results are impressive but he did not do this all by himself. His family and friends adjusted to his 0630 fitness sessions, they accepted the walking to and from school. Professional advice and support was provided by the coach.
Advice - no not from me but you seem to have taken a couple of steps - perhaps involving others may make the next steps a little bigger.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've lost 25% of my weight since cutting out alcohol almost exactly 17 years ago, but gained thousands of Pounds of the other sort :ohmy:. Doesn't that thought tempt you? I had a big problem, going on many years. It was affecting my health and family life. I drank to get drunk. I knew that I couldn't have just one drink, couldn't keep booze at home, I needed to manage high cholesterol and managed to cut down and stop completely, without ill effect. I missed the pub and my befuddled drinking buddies, but soon realised there was little we had in common other than alcohol. In the end it is the only way, abstain completely. Good luck.

stephec

Legendary Member
I used to have a couple of cans every night, then I dropped Tuesdays and Thursdays, then added Monday, and finally Wednesday as well.

Now I still have the same amount at weekends as I had before, but going from seven nights to three means my overall for the week is way down, and it's usually after nine before I start so that there's only a limited time available.

Every now and again I might have something on a week night if the situation arises, I just make sure it's a good reason and not an easy excuse.

We only drink at the weekends now, so consuming on 3/7ths of previous opurtunities, also starting later in the day to further reduce intake. I could abstain now whereas before we reduced to just weekends I'd never have contemplated that, lost a bit of weight and saved lots of money.

yello

Can he send it to me?
Do you like Lidl's lager?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Update: Much better week this week despite Wife going to A&E and other stresses - only had two small beers on Thursday Evening with a meal.
This weekend is unfortunately / fortunately my Daughters birthday so we are going out this evening.
I can't (and won't) have anything at the weekend so that is good news.
I feel I might be turning a corner, but it is very early days.

Thank you all for your support - I can say it has 100 % helped reading all your anecdotes and advice.

Update: Much better week this week despite Wife going to A&E and other stresses - only had two small beers on Thursday Evening with a meal.
This weekend is unfortunately / fortunately my Daughters birthday so we are going out this evening.
I can't (and won't) have anything at the weekend so that is good news.
I feel I might be turning a corner, but it is very early days.

Thank you all for your support - I can say it has 100 % helped reading all your anecdotes and advice.
good news
i was a bit like you, i would be in Tesco / Lidl buying the shopping and find myself in the beer section habitually buying 4 cans or whatever for the weekend. it was routine, like buying the milk.
i enjoyed the buzz from those but could feel it slightly the next day. my alcohol relationship is long but anyway, i just ended up quitting completely, it was the only way for me. i found it rather easy in the end. the biggest issue is going to gatherings where others are drinking. that's where alcohol free beers work a treat. i actually had one with my birthday meal a few days ago. they allow you to join in but stay sober. one to consider as they have helped me to transition to a non drinker

All uphill

Still rolling along
My neighbour came around today. "I need a favour" he said "there's a beer in it for you" :rolleyes:
I'm our neighbourhood's handy bicycle repair person. I'll fix any bike that is suitably low tech for anyone who asks nicely.

I've lost count of the number of times I've told people that I don't drink, but nearly every repair results in a bottle of wine. It helps me understand just how deeply alcohol is embedded in our society.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've had the same problem since the start of lockdown. Drinking at home maybe 3 or 4 nights a week, and often all day on a saturday and/or sunday when I don't have my boy at home. It's getting better now we can go out for walks etc (good weather helps) but I still probbaly get through a bottle of JD a week. Part of me thinks "this is unhealthy", whereas the other part of me thinks "I'm not doing anyone any harm, and life is too short". There is a massive list of why I drink, so I think finding the main reasons why and eradicating them is a good start

I'm our neighbourhood's handy bicycle repair person. I'll fix any bike that is suitably low tech for anyone who asks nicely.

I've lost count of the number of times I've told people that I don't drink, but nearly every repair results in a bottle of wine. It helps me understand just how deeply alcohol is embedded in our society.

I get this too: I don't drink and never have, but when people don't know what to get, wine is what they think of. Admittedly this is wine growing region, but still...

Top Bottom