Drinking water and your weight on the scales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
if anyone follows boxing they will know to make a weight for a category your fluid intake is a means of fine tuning and if they are a little over they go sweat off or skip off a few ounce to make the limit

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Of course, if LemonJuice is a yank he'd be nearer the truth.

He’s yanking something , that’s for sure

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Your body gets rid of water by pissing, pooing, breathing and sweating. The last two happen all the time but more so when exerting yourself. You lose a reasonable amount of water even when you're fast asleep.

A pint weighs a pound. Thus, if you were to weigh yourself and then drink five pints of water, does that mean your weight would show as five pounds heavier?

I know that water has no calories so it’s not five pounds of fat or that you have actually gained five pounds, but can one’s weight actually change that much during the day just by simply drinking water?

As it can get a wee bit hot during the summer over here I often weigh myself before and after rides to see how much water I need to drink to remain hydrated for a ride the following day. After a fairly sweaty 2.5 hour ride the other weekend I'd lost 4.8lbs. Using the rough 1lb=1pint, I made sure to drink 5 pints of water, and more, over the course of the late afternoon and evening. If I don't do this the next day's ride will be brutal.

PK99

Legendary Member

icowden

Veteran
A pint weighs a pound. Thus, if you were to weigh yourself and then drink five pints of water, does that mean your weight would show as five pounds heavier?

If you were to weigh yourself, drink 5 pints of water, then weigh yourself again, you would weigh the same as your previous weight plus the weight of 5 pints of water.

As others have said, people tend not to do that. When you wake up in the morning and weigh yourself after your morning wee, you are going to be weighing the least as you are the most dehydrated. Your weight will then vary over the day with food and water intake and how much you express (poo, wee, sweat, miosture on breath etc). I think most people vary around 1-2lbs during the day based on hydration.

Those of a delicate disposition, or about to eat, stop reading now...:stop:

A while ago I needed to "clean myself out" prior to a medical procedure. Out of curiosity I checked my weight before, after drinking the two litres of the solution that was going to do the cleansing and after the err...process. By my calculation, my digestive/excretive system contained two kg of stuff (excluding the solution). :ohmy:

This helps make sense of what I have read about pro time trialists, in particular, going on a low residue diet a few days before an event in order to reduce the amount of "excess weight" they are carrying. :bicycle:

Top Bottom