Drinking water and your weight on the scales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonJuice

A pint weighs a pound. Thus, if you were to weigh yourself and then drink five pints of water, does that mean your weight would show as five pounds heavier?

I know that water has no calories so it’s not five pounds of fat or that you have actually gained five pounds, but can one’s weight actually change that much during the day just by simply drinking water?

vickster

Legendary Member
A pint weighs a pound. Thus, if you were to weigh yourself and then drink five pints of water, does that mean your weight would show as five pounds heavier?

I know that water has no calories so it’s not five pounds of fat or that you have actually gained five pounds, but can one’s weight actually change that much during the day just by simply drinking water?
No because you’ll sweat some of it out and pi§§ more. And if not urinating, you’ve clearly got more far more to worry about than a little weight change

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It can if you've not gone to the loo. But when riding, for example, you may drink say 3 litres of water over a long ride, but you'll sweat alot too.

Day by day weight can change, so if measuring weight it's usually best to do in the morning after toilet visits.

I was 14 Stone 9 pounds this morning. Went for my “morning ablutions” and gained 3 pounds, in the space of 30 minutes and no food or water taken.

After the cycle, I was 14 Stone 7. So I think the second reading was false.

Chromatic

Legendary Member

No it doesn't.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You lose the most water simply exhaling.
And fat :whistle:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I had to work it out (those funny units)

A pint is 568ml so weighs 568g
568g is 1.2 lb

So not far off.

20% off, so not that close really.

I'm obviously older than you, when I started work many years ago we used to use the fact that a gallon of water weighed 10 lb to calculate the boiler output of solid fuel fires.

I've just googled it, a gallon of water weighs 10.022 lb.

Top Bottom