Drinking while recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'm getting to grips with my Nazca Fuego :wub: and beginning to do some longer rides but am feeling limited by not having an effective hydration system in place. At the moment, I have a water bottle stuck in a pocket on the rear of the rack-pack. :rolleyes: Clearly this is no use, as I have to stop whenever I want a drink. :headshake:

I know the solution is to have a bladder either hanging over the seat, in the rack-pack or just on the rack.

My questions are -
  • what is best ?
  • how is it done ?
  • any other options - like putting a water bottle anywhere ?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I used a bladder on the top of the pannier rack, between the pannier tops. The tube was then fed through to the side of my face so I could suck on it as needed.

Only problem was that the bladder was in a black backpack carrier and the water became very warm when riding in even mild summer sun.

tricksta

designer/maker fixer/breaker
At the moment I use a handlebar to bottle cage adapter on my handlebars (USS), puts the bottle in just the right place though does interfere with turning sometimes on full lock.

Just thinking that maybe you could use one of them to mount a bottle to the top of your tiller tube behind the handlebars, that way it won't foul on your legs and be easy to get to.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have bottle cages fixed to the back of the seat low enough to reach on the move. I had this on my AZUB-4 hardshell seat and the QNT and Trail. The Kettwiesel has mounts on the seat suupport. In all four cases dropping either hand down, as if to scratch my bum, puts my hand very close to the bottle. After a bit of practice drinking is easy. I also have other mounts on all three trikes for longer rides where two bottles aren't enough, I stop to swap empty bottles for full in the reachable cages when those bottles are empty.

On long rides I use a Camelbak system.
I've just enough room between the seat and the frame/back rack/tail box to fit a unibottle 100oz.
I made a frame to hold it out of a side panel off an ICE rack, which is bolted/zip tied in place.
This means I can fit either the 1 liter or 3 liter bladder depending on how hot/long the day is.
The hose comes up near my shoulder and I can just reach back and grab it if I want a drink.

I can also carry a bottle in each the pockets on the top of my Radical sidepods.
But as they are a bit more tricky to drink from on the move I tend to stop to drink from these.

In total I can carry close to 4.5 liters of liquid at the start of a hot day.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thanks for these responses. :thumbsup: Bladder behind seat is probably my preference at the moment.

I'll have a close look at whether I can fit a bladder behind the seat without it
- getting caught between the rack and the seat
- fouling the wheel/mudguard

Failing that, it's either bladder on rack or the bottle-cage 'adapters' - as long as I can get a bottle out , drunk from and returned without me heading into the ditch ... :laugh:

byegad

Legendary Member
...edit...
Failing that, it's either bladder on rack or the bottle-cage 'adapters' - as long as I can get a bottle out , drunk from and returned without me heading into the ditch ... :laugh:

IF you go this route, you'll find it easy enough just get the initial placement right.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My design might need a little bit of refinement, but if I was a recumbent rider this would be the only logical way to remain hydrated on long rides:

daft.jpg

8141875459_aa9427a4f2_z.jpg

On my Fuego I've fitted a cage to the top side of my steerer. I used the plastic mounting clips over thin rubber bands and it has not moved. The only criticism is of the bottle cage itself. It is a tad wide and sometimes brushes my knees. There are narrower cages and when I get round to it I will replace the cage.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Drinking while recumbent is to be deprecated - if you can't stand up straight, you should stop drinking.
Shouldn't this be in the Teetotalism thread in the Cafe forum?

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Anyone tried mounting a cage ...
- on the side of the seat ?
- on the main tube just in front of the seat ?

Still exploring .... mainly 'cos I can't find Scoosh jnr's Hydrapack to try on the back of the seat ! :angry:

^_^

byegad

Legendary Member
Both and they both work. Although the 'on the tube' mount needs a bit of a stretch, especially if you are laid well back.

Top Bottom