drive train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maenchi

StoneDog
hi, this is my drivetrain,
Shimano SL-M6000 Deore Shift Lever, with new xt cable

Shimano Deore XT RD-T8000 XT trekking rear derailluer, SGS long cage, 10-speed​

10speed hg50chain, deore 11-36 cassette, xt 22/30/40 chainwheel
when in low gears the top three, 36 34 32 x 22 is flicking , does anyone have a suggestion as to why it's flicking, ? or have i mismatched something.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm guessing you mean slipping. This might be due to those gears being worn.
You don't say how much use the set up has had. A visual inspection might not reveal the wear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hanger alignment check would be my first call.
Image of the RD and cassette from the right side with chain in large/large, please.

OP
OP
Maenchi

Maenchi

StoneDog
I'm guessing you mean slipping. This might be due to those gears being worn.
You don't say how much use the set up has had. A visual inspection might not reveal the wear.
sorry missing a few details , derailleur, chain, cassette, cable are new, shifter is maybe a year old, not exactly slipping but the derailleur is sounding odd and is moving slightly forwards and back, like if pushed by hand, i described it as not tracking right, bike shop mechanic implied a mismatch but didn't offer a conclusive answer, also the problem only shows when riding and not when in work stand

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In that case it may be the hanger as Ajax suggests. Has it had a knock lately? Does everything line up from behind?
I'm sure your LBS mechanic knows his stuff but I wouldn't suspect a mismatch.

OP
OP
Maenchi

Maenchi

StoneDog
Hanger alignment check would be my first call.
Image of the RD and cassette from the right side with chain in large/large, please.
Bike shop mechanic said the hanger was bent, a little, he put it straight, usually i have done the installation myself, this time however i had a shop mechanic check it over, still not perfect, for now i'm just not using the 22 tooth chainwheel, one other thing the 30 tooth chainwheel fits with the 36 tooth cog, which is consequently my lowest gear, for now, i never done this before, or cross chained large to large, ie 40 x 36

OP
OP
Maenchi

Maenchi

StoneDog
In that case it may be the hanger as Ajax suggests. Has it had a knock lately? Does everything line up from behind?
I'm sure your LBS mechanic knows his stuff but I wouldn't suspect a mismatch.
thanks for the vote of confidence about not being a mismatch....:okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would replace the hanger as being the best low cost solution. It's very difficult to straighten a hanger accurately.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The reason I asked for the large/large image was to check chain length.
the derailleur is sounding odd and is moving slightly forwards and back, like if pushed by hand
The symptoms you now describe (RD cage flicking forwards and backwards) are of incipient chain suck and implies the inner ring is worn (given new and clean cassette/chain). I think if the hanger's been checked and made vertical that's not the issue (don't agree with @Cycleops 'very difficult').

si_c

Guru
I would replace the hanger as being the best low cost solution. It's very difficult to straighten a hanger accurately.
If you have an alignment tool, which a lot of home mechanics have, and all shops do, it's suprisingly easy.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Maenchi

Maenchi

StoneDog

The symptoms you now describe (RD cage flicking forwards and backwards) are of incipient chain suck and implies the inner ring is worn (given new and clean cassette/chain). I think if the hanger's been checked and made vertical that's not the issue (don't agree with @Cycleops 'very difficult')i was

The symptoms you now describe (RD cage flicking forwards and backwards) are of incipient chain suck and implies the inner ring is worn (given new and clean cassette/chain). I think if the hanger's been checked and made vertical that's not the issue (don't agree with @Cycleops 'very difficult').
mechanic set the chain length, i had however matched it with the previous chain, worn chainring i wondered about, i do use it a lot, grandad gears, :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Maenchi

Maenchi

StoneDog
After the answers must be the chainring that's worn, looks ok, and the 30 and 40 tooth work ok, for now, but thinking it over, subject to availability, new rings is the best route, thanks all ! ..:okay:

Top Bottom