Driver cuts off cyclist on roundabout and ends up with fines and costs totalling £1100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That's an amazing result. I've had ones like that about 3 times in my cycling life. Hooray for cameras

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lucy goes across roundabouts without a care in the world.
What was that song? Lucy in the sky with diamonds :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And this one implies that she was tried in her absence (after pleading not guilty) rather than “failed to attend court”. Driving without due care and attention.
If you plead not guilty then you will be tried in court and if you don't attend to defend yourself then you can hardly be surprised if you're convicted.

So "failed" to attend court" is a perfectly accurate statement.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you plead not guilty then you will be tried in court and if you don't attend to defend yourself then you can hardly be surprised if you're convicted.

So "failed" to attend court" is a perfectly accurate statement.

“Failed to attend” implies a requirement of attendance. You can choose not to attend and be tried in your absence - with the consequences you mention. The media link goes for sensationalism, the police link goes for accuracy.

icowden

Veteran
Pretty dumb to contest the fixed penalty notice with the obvious intent of attending and then not going. She could have out of there a hundred quid fine perhaps. Can't have had good advice or maybe just plain stupid, who knows.
I'll go with stupid I think. It's quite likely that a very annoyed magistrate upped the points and fine for wasting Court time. They don't like people doing that. And then you have the attendant costs and victim surcharge which are pretty much a given if you lose.

If you really want to entertain yourself and can stand clicking on a Daily Fail link, the comments section is hilarious.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-driving-without-care-attention.html#comments

Badger_Boom

Über Member
If you really want to entertain yourself and can stand clicking on a Daily Fail link, the comments section is hilarious...
I gave up after the first few. I'd say they were more terrifying than hilarious if they reflect the standard of understanding held by typical Heil-reading motorists.

Top Bottom