Driver cuts off cyclist on roundabout and ends up with fines and costs totalling £1100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Looking at the roundabout in question and the footage again, might it be that the car driver emerged from the road the cyclist was just passing and effectively cut across in front of him, rather than the initial impression that the Fiesta went around the outside of him from behind?

Either way it's not good.

Alex321

Veteran
Looking at the roundabout in question and the footage again, might it be that the car driver emerged from the road the cyclist was just passing and effectively cut across in front of him, rather than the initial impression that the Fiesta went around the outside of him from behind?

That was the impression I had even before seeing the google image.

I got the impression there that the car driver just didn't look properly, and either didn't see the cyclist at all, or didn't realise how quickly the cyclist was moving.

I'll go with stupid I think. It's quite likely that a very annoyed magistrate upped the points and fine for wasting Court time. They don't like people doing that. And then you have the attendant costs and victim surcharge which are pretty much a given if you lose.

If you really want to entertain yourself and can stand clicking on a Daily Fail link, the comments section is hilarious.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-driving-without-care-attention.html#comments

Love the comment about being a typical remoaner

Yes mate - opinion on Brexit is known to be a major factor in road positioning
clearly too far left - sorry right

anyway - I was sure there would be a Fail article on it - I just hadn;t got up the courage to look for it
The comments actually had more pro the cyclist than I expected - plus loads of the normal carp

Psamathe

For me cases like this go beyond a single incident punished. Good that it was reported, punished, etc. but the associated publicity spreads the word that cyclists are road users and there is enforcement with punishment. It's a pity that so many drivers feel immune from getting caught by those responsible for enforcement and that it comes down to individual cyclists to spend money on cameras and go through the rigmarole of getting action taken

But the publicity hopefully means a few cases like this can have a bigger impact than a few drivers punished.

Ian

Badger_Boom

Über Member
That was the impression I had even before seeing the google image.

I got the impression there that the car driver just didn't look properly, and either didn't see the cyclist at all, or didn't realise how quickly the cyclist was moving.

Or simply ignored (or didn‘t understand) the rules for negotiating a roundabout.

Or simply ignored (or didn‘t understand) the rules for negotiating a roundabout.

probably more concerned about the damn cheek of the bleedin' cyclist for holding them up on their 'toy' so decided they were entitled to get past in whatever way they could
without wondering in any way what direction the cyclist was likely to go

Alex321

Veteran
probably more concerned about the damn cheek of the bleedin' cyclist for holding them up on their 'toy' so decided they were entitled to get past in whatever way they could
without wondering in any way what direction the cyclist was likely to go

I tend to assume ignorance and carelessness rather than malice, unless it is clearly so.

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I'm certain of it, especially after downloading the video so I could examine individual frames.
Possibly the driver would blame an - pillar obstructing the view of the bike, (aka lazy driving / poor observation).

Side mirror of the car looks covered with condensation too, and the rear window is well overdue for a wash.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And no mention of how much the driver's house is worth either? DM is slipping.

And cycling causing cancer, as well as, in a different article, curing it.

By way of explanation, there was a website that collected a list of things that according to the mail, cured and caused cancer

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Yes, that's what the Police link says:
Shortly before 8.50am, the cyclist entered the roundabout junction from Wooldale Road in Northampton, and as he rode towards Landimore Road, a black Ford Fiesta cut across him as he went to exit the junction with Newport Pagnell Road.

Wooldale road is the road the cyclist was just passing.

Top Bottom