Driver nearly side-swipes a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I don't have a You tube account so will just mention on here that could have all been avoided by him taking control of the lane. Approaching a squeeze whilst riding in the doorzone of a gutter- what did they think would happen?
Can partially blame the car for a dodgy half over take- but at the same time if you give them an inch (as this shows) they will take a mile.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Looks very hilly so he goes from slow uphill, riding left to avoid holding up cars at likely (cyclist shame) 10 or lower mph to a downhill at around traffic speed. With visible parked cars in the cycle lane he needed to get primary at the top of the hill but maybe couldn't as the car that eventually side swipes was too close behind. I would have given up and slowed down and tried to filter behind the car, but yes primary as he starts going downhill was probably where you want to be.

GrasB

Veteran
I was wincing at the point I saw the cyclist starting to hold station before undertake the blue car. Parked cars & close passing wasn't a great idea. Geting squeezed out as the rider came off the hatched area was predicable. Better road craft from the cyclist & better obs from the motorist was needed.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Poor driving BUT even poorer cycling. The cars in front were indicating and moving inside - alarms bells should have been ringing.Cyclist shoulda taken the lane or held back.

p(iss)-poor reading of the road from both parties....

Looks like neither looked further than a foot in front

The motorist was impatient but the cyclist also accelerated whilst being overtaken - if you're not going to take the lane (a valid choice not to with the uphill, especially if on an off-day, a cold on the chest, whatever) then if you choose to put yourself in a submissive position you do have to be a bit more submissive and should hold back rather than accelerate

My opinion would be slightly different if the cyclists speed was consistent.

Graham

People are a bit quick to find fault with cyclists sometimes on here,but I reckon this one is 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

campbellab

The driver is *just* past at one point, and then the cyclist is catching up/undertaking on the inside and probably in the blind spot for a good second or more. Bad show by both.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think it's almost entirely the cyclist at fault. His lane is blocked, so rather than pull out properly, he tries to squeeze through in the door zone and then rather than merging into the traffic flow he hangs off the inside of the car. When the cycle lane ends, hes still hanging off the car all the way accross the junction and still keeps to its inside when the lane narrows and is unsurprisingly squeezed. It's hard to tell from the camera angles, but as the car drives off, it looks like it was pretty close to the center line, which the car in the outside lane was also very close to, so giving as much space as he realistically could. I don't even see it as a failed overtake, the cyclist was joining the road from the cyclelane into traffic.

Unless the cyclist is a dwarf, his view of the road ahead would have been much higher and clearer than the video looks too, he'd have had loads of time to see that him and the 4x4 werent going to fit very well into that approaching gap, its ridiculous that he doesn't back out of that position until the car (nearly?) touches him. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom