Driver using mobile phone .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I've taken someone's mobile (and chucked it under their rear wheels) but I'm not sure I'd take someone's keys. She does sound like she was a belligerent moo from the outset, though.

Lizban

Crankarm said:
Here we go all the ar5es on here who regularly complain bitterly about drivers who drive whilst talking on mobiles/texting putting them at risk now decide it's not such a problem and really it's rather alright. Please .........

Er no - I won't bite at the petty name calling, but there is a huge differance between objecting in a correct and appropriate way and this.

In my view NEITHER your or the drivers actions are worse and how are your actions going to improve the situation?

Two wrongs and all that.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Norm said:
I've taken someone's mobile (and chucked it under their rear wheels) but I'm not sure I'd take someone's keys. She does sound like she was a belligerent moo from the outset, though.

I was hpoing she would have clearly switched it off and say put it away in her bag and said sorry it was a stupid thing to be doing even if she then when out of sight got it out again and resumed her call.

A last year I was driving down a rural B-road and I noticed in my rear view mirror that the driver behind was on his phone and had been for some considerable time, getting closer and closer to the rear of my car. I knew some sharp hairpin bends were coming up with blind junctions and I didn't want him going into the back of me. There was quite a bit of traffic on the road and several cars behind him. So I gradually slowed and came to a stop. He was right up close to the rear of my car so couldn't pull around me. I got out and started to walk back toward him indicating to him the use of his mobile. He immediately stopped talking on his phone. I asked him how mcuh closer he wanted to get to the back of my car and which bit of his driving license allowed him to use his mobile phone whilst driving? He went bright red and said it was a stupid thing to do and apologised. I got back in my car and we continued with him now at a safe distance behind.

There are some people who are genuinely ignorant and others who stick two fingers up to the law, are a menace and dangerous.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Lizban said:
Oh come on. Taking action that is proportinate and reasonable is fine - in this case the other posters were neither.

So please enlighten me as to what would have been proportionate and reasonable :laugh:?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A school friend of my son caused an accident while using her mobile... had someone done the same to her, as Crank did, at the roundabout before she may have not had the accident 5 minutes later.

She killed someone.

...without Crank's lesson the woman may have been seconds from something similar.
In the circumstances think I it's admirable... the woman was clearly only concerned that he was a policeman, no embarrassment or apology that what she was doing was both illegal and STUPID!

Lizban

A polite conversation and / or reporting it. If you are unsatisfied with the response - follow that up with the Poice. Not taking the enforecement of the law into your own hands.

How about we stop every RLJ and let down their tyres?

People use mobiles behind the wheel because they think they can get away with it. THis woman didn't. Crankarm did what he thought was necessary to make his immediate environment safer. I wouldn't have done what he did.

I'd have dropped the keys down the nearest drain.

I have taken keys out of blokes' ignitions too, by the way.

Cab

Crankarm... You rock. Well done :laugh:

Which street was it?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
If i saw it happen i think it would look very funny, and guaranteed to get applause.
Actually doing it myself would be a different matter, especially with some of the women round by me.

It comes down, again, to the fact that people in this country will do what they think they can get away with, not what's right.
Does them good to have their bubble burst now and again.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Lizban said:
A polite conversation and / or reporting it. If you are unsatisfied with the response - follow that up with the Poice. Not taking the enforecement of the law into your own hands.

How about we stop every RLJ and let down their tyres?

My conversation with her was polite, which bit of please is not polite?

Her response was to divert her wrong doing into challenging me as to whether I was a police officer which frankly is absurd as I don't look or dress like a police officer or hold myself out to be a police officer, which I hasten to add is a criminal offence. You don't have to be a police officer to challenge wrong doing where it is taking place. Her response was rude which then became abusive.

If I have managed to remind her that using a mobile whilst driving is an offence, is dangerous and she will now no longer use her phone whilst driving, then great.

If I haven't succeeded in doing this then at the very least I have inconvenienced her, temporarily stopped her call and her driving without due care and attention and risking crashing into something or some one in the residential street. It is half term at the moment and kids are everywhere. She could drive into one .........

HobbesChoice

Well, we're all too well aware that justice is rarely served for cyclists when going to the Police etc, so although I was initially taken aback by what CrankArm did I do think he did the right thing. Take all the filler out of that story and it's a very good solution.

If we could feel more confidence in our justice system then I'd be all for going to the Police but when a lorry driver can run over a man (who is then seen clinging to the lorry's wipers in a futile attempt to save him going under), kill the man, drive 30 miles to hide his mangled bike and get a 3 year driving ban and 2 years imprisonment then I'm all for these people being forced to think seriously about what they've done and maybe be a little nervous to do it again.

Again, great assertiveness being mistaken for overly aggressive!

But, I think it's the way you tell 'em Crankarm! :laugh:

trsleigh

Twenty Inch said:
I'd have dropped the keys down the nearest drain.

Whenever I've thought about doing this, I would probably put the keys/mobile in a nearby postbox.
Luckily I've never got annoyed enough to do it. In fact it seems to me that West London drivers are remarkably sane compared to some of the idiots we hear about on here.

Anyway well done Crankarm :laugh:

Lizban

Crankarm said:
My conversation with her was polite, which bit of please is not polite?

Her response was to divert her wrong doing into challenging me as to whether I was a police officer which frankly is absurd as I don't look or dress like a police officer or hold myself out to be a police officer, which I hasten to add is a criminal offence. You don't have to be a police officer to challenge wrong doing where it is taking place. Her response was rude which then became abusive.

If I have managed to remind her that using a mobile whilst driving is an offence, is dangerous and she will now no longer use her phone whilst driving, then great.

If I haven't succeeded in doing this then at the very least I have inconvenienced her, temporarily stopped her call and her driving without due care and attention and risking crashing into something or some one in the residential street. It is half term at the moment and kids are everywhere. She could drive into one .........

You lost the polite argument when you took her keys. Bit like saying Please F off -the please doesn't make it polite.

Her behaviour was wrong, let's be clear not convinced that yours was right.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Lizban said:
You lost the polite argument when you took her keys. Bit like saying Please F off -the please doesn't make it polite.

Her behaviour was wrong, let's be clear not convinced that yours was right.

Mind with your absurd VED thread when you first came on here I'm not that bothered what you think :laugh:.

Top Bottom