Driver who deliberately hit cyclist is jailed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Woeful. Nice to see the usual tosser comments though..

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about this one:
“The comments here are hilarious. Drivers are only brave when they're in their steel cage. Sure, if they knock you over, there's not much you can do. The real fun starts when the wannabe tough guys get out of their car. I spent two years a cycle courier in Bristol when at university. Car driver gets out, you drop the bike on the ground and walk very quickly towards him, removing the 1.5 KG D-lock from your belt as you do so. I did that about a dozen times, and on every occasion but one, the yellow piece of v,e;r-min suddenly remembered a pressing appointment elsewhere. Only once did the idiot try to press it, and he woke up in A&E. The police arrived, saw the video in which he was filmed getting out of his car. I went home and driver was arrested when he got out of hospital. He only got a suspended sentence, but it was worth it to see him crying in court when he was found guilty. Happy days. The moral: car drivers are bullies, and there is only one way to deal with bullies.”

Slick

Guru
Some you who remember my thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/driver-deliberately-hits-cyclist-in-colchester.228283/post-5090126 might be interested to know the driver of the Mondeo who deliberately knocked the cyclist off was jailed today at Ipswich Crown Court for 16 months.
http://dailym.ai/2CpET5Y
I watched a program last night about the police trying to prove an attempt murder charge on a youth who manoeuvred his car round obstacles to mount the pavement before aiming it at another group of youths and hitting an innocent bystander sending him flying in the air, then reversing over him, then parking the car on top of him. This was all caught on video, but the CPS felt there was still not enough evidence and charged him with grievous bodily harm with intent. They reckoned it was the most difficult charge to prove as you never know what is really on their mind. I'm not sure what else they expect when you drive your car at someone. 16 months isn't enough.

Slick

Guru
In that case the young man said what he expected, which was that the targets would jump out of the way and be scared. It would have been impossible to offer any convincing proof to the court that he intended to kill the innocent bystander he maimed, which is what makes that charge of attempted murder so difficult. The length of the sentence seems too short, but is governed by the charge.
I'm Not trying to be smart or anything, but what kind of defence is that? "I expected them to jump out of the way". I suppose it worked, but I never bought in to it for a second. I would have liked to have heard a bit more from the victim though.

I also felt for the cops. They did seem very young and you could feel their frustration. It made me wonder if there was a time limit on such a job.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Seems light, but his life is still likely ruined, pleasingly.

Sixmile

Veteran
I watched a program last night about the police trying to prove an attempt murder charge on a youth who manoeuvred his car round obstacles to mount the pavement before aiming it at another group of youths and hitting an innocent bystander sending him flying in the air, then reversing over him, then parking the car on top of him. This was all caught on video, but the CPS felt there was still not enough evidence and charged him with grievous bodily harm with intent. They reckoned it was the most difficult charge to prove as you never know what is really on their mind. I'm not sure what else they expect when you drive your car at someone. 16 months isn't enough.

Aye, watched that myself. Initially I couldn't believe the registered owner of the car wasn't guilty, especially with his vague multi faceted corker of a story but in the end it wasn't him. It was the new owner who'd treated himself to half a dozen desperado's, 6 reefs and 2 lines of coke before getting in the motor and mounting the footpath.

Slick

Guru
Aye, watched that myself. Initially I couldn't believe the registered owner of the car wasn't guilty, especially with his vague multi faceted corker of a story but in the end it wasn't him. It was the new owner who'd treated himself to half a dozen desperado's, 6 reefs and 2 lines of coke before getting in the motor and mounting the footpath.
Unbelievable eh. I also thought it a bit disconcerting his reaction to first seeing the fight, and then the attack with the car.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wonder why that isnt attempted murder. You hit someone with a 2 ton piece of metal. What would a reasonable person expect the likely outcome to be?

It might send a message to other motorists.

The driving ban should also start when he is released as he cannot drive while he is banged up.

Reactions: mjr

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I wonder why that isnt attempted murder. You hit someone with a 2 ton piece of metal. What would a reasonable person expect the likely outcome to be?

It might send a message to other motorists.

The driving ban should also start when he is released as he cannot drive while he is banged up.

Agree 100% - should get a 10 year ban before getting thee chance to show he's learnt his lesson.

How on Earth, he only gets 16 months after showing such utter disregard and disrespect for others, and doing something so obviously dangerous is beyond me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The driving ban is extended to take account of time in prison.

In this case, the appropriate ban was deemed to be two years, so it's two years and eight months from date of sentence.

The eight months is arrived at by halving the prison sentence which will give his projected release date.

He must also take an extended driving test, which around my way at least, no one passes first time.

Top Bottom