Drivers Watching Media Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You've written policy on multi-media in vehicles? What did you propose and was it adopted?

I said I'd written policy, not policy on multi-media in vehicles. This is the first time for ages that I've posted in this section - is it usually caracterised by such tedious nitpicking and pedantry? I would have thought it would be somewhat more constructive, given that we're all on the same side when it comes to protecting cyclists...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I said I'd written policy, not policy on multi-media in vehicles. This is the first time for ages that I've posted in this section - is it usually caracterised by such tedious nitpicking and pedantry? I would have thought it would be somewhat more constructive, given that we're all on the same side when it comes to protecting cyclists...
My apologies - when you said you'd written policy, I assumed it had some relevance to the topic. I didn't see the replies as pedantry and nitpicking so much as posters disagreeing with you. Funny old game this internet arguing, innit?:smile:

mumbo jumbo

A technology sector client of mine is doing deals with (typically high end) auto manufacturers which effectively make cars a voice activated mobile device, an extension of the office. We're talking dictating letters and emails, amending documents and making diary appointments etc on the move, not just your regular handsfree phone call. Frankly it's terrifying.

I hasten to add I'm not helping them do these deals! My work is much more boring.

An interesting product? Just a pity it's not available as a remote control for MY use :evil:

CU80 - a system for businesses, fleet operators, and parents (:evil:) to "help stop drivers being distracted by mobile devices – phones, laptops, tablet computers or MP3 players"

Sorry. Let me get something straight. Is it, or is it not the case that the incident in the OP (which we can all agree was a horrific example of driver dereliction yadda yadda which, by the way, only involved cyclists very incidentally - they were van passengers):

(A) was a rare one-off;
(B) happened in a country with very different standards of driving and acceptable behaviour?

I'm all in favour of tough laws where there's a real problem to be solved, but this? This is crazy. Show me the evidence that there's a significant problem and I might start listening. Otherwise you're talking like the worst caricatures of knee-jerk populist politicians imaginable.

As an Ex truck driver i can tell you that watching media is very much alive and kicking in the haulage industry, especially for long haul/european circuit drivers .. its mostly via a laptop computer which sits on the centre console where it cannot be seen by the Police from their patrol cars

Foxy

Globalti

Legendary Member
The most frightening drive of my life was through rush-hour traffic in Lahore, Pakistan, while the driver was watching Mrs Thatcher's resignation speech on a TV balanced on the dashboard.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Two experiences of this:
1) Taxi ride home from bus station in Bristol. I got in the rear of the people-carrier with my luggage and we went off with the (so I thought) radio blaring. In my street, I looked over the drivers shoulder to see what fare it was and was shocked to see him watching a small 3" screen on an built-in mp3 player. Thye sod was watching video files all the way from the bus station!. I paid him,muttered that it wasn't safe to watch video driving and then promptly sent a complaint to Bristol Council about it.

2) Pulling up in our firm's Movano van behind a car on the M32 slip road. The slip road slopes down and those vans have a high seat, so I could see well into the other car. I was, again, shocked to see the dipstick in front with a small laptop on the passenger seat playing some war movie (saw blokes with guns etc). I gave his reg to the police.

Some new sat navs now have 'live' video of the road ahead since they can tap into cams. Stupid idea, really.

In my opinion, all in-car digital entertainment should be strictly banned from anywhere within the drivers view.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yup, anything that can be programmed in can be programmed out. especially on CANbus systems

Try that on a Nissan. You can't.

Had a Primera with a display for 10 years, reversing camera, the lot. You can't really hack the canbus system reliably without it wrecking the car electronics. Never even thought about it myself - had the car since they came on the UK market.

Top Bottom