Drivers, what is going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not sure where to post this but it needs discussing and I need to get it off my chest!

I was knocked off my bike in February by a driver rushing and not watching where he was going. Result was a broken neck and fractured skull. Just getting back on my bike in the last two weeks as my condition has improved.

Tonight I have just heard that my younger brother has been knocked off his bike while out training for an upcoming sportive this Sunday. He is in A&E but sounds like he has got away with just bruising and scrapes. He was knocked off by a car joining a roundabout as he passed and hitting his rear wheel, knocking the bike out from under him. Two cars approached the roundabout on the dual carriageway, 1st stopped (RH lane ?) and 2nd car (LH lane ?) didn't stop!

What is going on? My own real world experience of cycling indicates that it is getting worse. Near misses are increasing, drivers seem to be much less capable of paying attention while being in more of a rush! My view is that this has accelerated almost exponentially in the last 5 years.

Why? Why do drivers either not realise or not care about the consequences of their actions. What is the reason for this apparent epidemic of inattentive driving and is there a solution? My own suspicion is that there is no solution, either accept an ever increasing risk or stop cycling.

Please tell me I am just experiencing a hiccup and in reality things are no worse than they were 10-15 yrs ago.......

Drago

Legendary Member
Too many people driving HUA, not enough punishment to deter them from doing so.

Johnno260

Veteran
I leave for work way earlier then needed so I can take a slow drive in, I think much of the issue is people rushing.

The other issue is people really don’t seem to care at the moment.

Venod

Eh up
Unfortunately you're not the only one - it seems to be that driving is abysmal in West Yorkshire and getting worse.

I have to agree, the close pass message seems to be getting through a little but the general driving standards seem to be getting worse, I had to stop and recover after nearly being taken out on the A64 roundabout recently, the bloke who knocked me off, resulting in a head on collision and a broken shoulder was driving like a moron and deserved his punishment of driving without due care and attention fine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
NorthernDave said:
Sadly driving standards generally seem to be falling off a cliff edge.

It's quite obvious that a lot of the worst muppets on the road have never passed a legit UK driving test, as they haven't got a scooby. Loads of dodgy stuff goes on, especially impersonation of the test candidate by somebody else.

Not sure where to post this but it needs discussing and I need to get it off my chest!

I was knocked off my bike in February by a driver rushing and not watching where he was going. Result was a broken neck and fractured skull. Just getting back on my bike in the last two weeks as my condition has improved.

Tonight I have just heard that my younger brother has been knocked off his bike while out training for an upcoming sportive this Sunday. He is in A&E but sounds like he has got away with just bruising and scrapes. He was knocked off by a car joining a roundabout as he passed and hitting his rear wheel, knocking the bike out from under him. Two cars approached the roundabout on the dual carriageway, 1st stopped (RH lane ?) and 2nd car (LH lane ?) didn't stop!

What is going on? My own real world experience of cycling indicates that it is getting worse. Near misses are increasing, drivers seem to be much less capable of paying attention while being in more of a rush! My view is that this has accelerated almost exponentially in the last 5 years.

Why? Why do drivers either not realise or not care about the consequences of their actions. What is the reason for this apparent epidemic of inattentive driving and is there a solution? My own suspicion is that there is no solution, either accept an ever increasing risk or stop cycling.

Please tell me I am just experiencing a hiccup and in reality things are no worse than they were 10-15 yrs ago.......
Four years ago I had a similar injury to yourself (c6, c7 and t1) just around the corner from you as well, after a car pulled out in front of me. I went through the drivers window, headbutting the driver in the process. I was off work for a year and now have a permanent injury/pain because a driver did not bother to properly check the road was clear. I would like to think it was an accident, but too many people are only sorry after the fact. It is a little late then.
Once I got back on the bike, I recorded the rides I did to work. It is only in the last year that I have started to commute regularly as it is much closer to home. Since xmas I have reported 4 drivers for driving that is dangerous. They have all been prosecuted. I have sent another couple yesterday and today (cars passing closely on corners while there are cars coming the other way) and I would expect them to be prosecuted too. I only report the worst driving I see, there is plenty of inconsiderate driving (yesterday a woman in an ASL while on her phone took exception to being filmed, but at least she put the phone down) and it is not only on the bike I see it. I feel it is wrong to have to record rides, but the only way some of these drivers will learn is if they are reported for their terrible driving.

KneesUp

Guru
My closest pass on the way home today was just before my street. It was plainly too close, but the driver had chosen to pass me just as the road narrowed so other than - you know - wait 10 seconds to get to the traffic lights, she had no choice but to get really close to me. The Transit behind her did exactly the same thing, which was unfortunate as it was in full police livery, being driven by a uniformed officer.

If the police are demonstrating that close passing and not really thinking or caring is fine, it's expecting a bit much of normal motorists to behave better.

classic33

Leg End Member
My closest pass on the way home today was just before my street. It was plainly too close, but the driver had chosen to pass me just as the road narrowed so other than - you know - wait 10 seconds to get to the traffic lights, she had no choice but to get really close to me. The Transit behind her did exactly the same thing, which was unfortunate as it was in full police livery, being driven by a uniformed officer.

If the police are demonstrating that close passing and not really thinking or caring is fine, it's expecting a bit much of normal motorists to behave better.
Report it. Location and time are known to you.

If they're on "Blues and Two's", I try and get off the road as soon as it's possible, which ever service they are. Otherwise I try to let them past when it's safe to do so.

Lonestar

Veteran
I'm not sure but some of it is don't think ahead and can't concentrate...apart from rushing.Then again some of our own on the CS 3 are similar to this,also.

Lack of policing and some seem a bit thick.Please see can't think ahead.Inconsiderate.Selfish.Clueless.Lack of policing.

Top Bottom