Drivetrain Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
As a confirmed fair weather rider I don't take much notice of my bikes Dec to April. I pulled them all out of the garage today, all 8 of them. :okay:

One is a new arrival so I'll discount that, so 6 of the others are "my" bikes, ones that I've maintained and looked after. The 7th is a road bike I bought last spring but hardly used, on it's arrival I know that I'd have oiled & lubricated everything, yet whereas all "my" bikes are fine, this one has a really rusty drivetrain, why is that?

Drago

Legendary Member
Even in storage you'd need to lube them up more than annually to keep that at bay, unless you're actually slathering on grease.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You might have ridden it on a salty road? Even on a dry road the bike gets blasted with salty dust, which attracts moisture and rusts everything. A colleague of mine ruined a lovely steel Bianchi by sweating all over it, never washing it and storing it in a damp shed.

DRM

Guru
I’ve had similar on one bike, despite regular cleaning & lubing it would just go rusty if left for a couple of weeks, in the end I fitted a KMC SL chain, fully nickel plated, the original chain was imho a cheap item supplied with the bike to keep cost down, it was full of stiff links & kept jumping off, the new chain was expensive at £17 but worth it if it stays rust free & shiny, it made a real difference as it is so quiet, I reckon the original would have ruined the cassette in no time

Top Bottom