Drivetrain Upgrade Opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello All,
Recently I have been contemplating a partial drivetrain upgrade on my Giant NRS 2. I have been running a Shimano Deore 1x10 drivetrain for mainly cross country and trail use.
Last night my derailleur hanger sheared forcing my derailleur into my spokes, bending it almost in half and snapping my chain.
I take good care of my bike and having to carry it almost a mile home I've decided that I'll use it as an excuse to perform an upgrade.
I have been wanting to go 1x11 for a while now but I may settle for a wide range 10 speed drivetrain as I do a lot of steep, technical climbs and high speed descents.

I would also like something that'll last.

I have more than a few questions and any advice would be much appreciated :

1) Should I stick with Shimano 1x10 gearing ? If so what is a good model ?
2) Should I convert to SRAM 1x10 gearing ?
If so what is a good model ?
3) Does converting a 'mini-drivetrain' (shifter, derailleur and cassette) from Shimano to sram require any changes ?
4) What is a good range for a 1x10 cassette ?

My budget for upgrading is about £100-£130.

Thanks.

Drago

Legendary Member
SLX, your sensible compromise of price, performance, weight and durability.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So at the very least you're into a new rear mech and chain plus an overhaul of the rear wheel.

Surely if you've a single ring up front you must have a wide range cassette already. How many teeth on your lowest cog? I don't really see you'd get any advantage going to SRAM but if you want to spend the money that's fine. If you want to go to 11 speed it would involve more spending as you point out. Only you know if its worth it but you'd gain very little.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have 11 SPD and to be honest it is much the same as 10 or even 9spd in the real world. In my fleet I have 7/8/9/10/11spd bikes and apart from the bikes being very different in character they all perform a similar job in respect of the drivetrains. 'Upgrading' from 10 to 11spd would be a stupid waste of money IMO!

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

So at the very least you're into a new rear mech and chain plus an overhaul of the rear wheel.

Surely if you've a single ring up front you must have a wide range cassette already. How many teeth on your lowest cog? I don't really see you'd get any advantage going to SRAM but if you want to spend the money that's fine. If you want to go to 11 speed it would involve more spending as you point out. Only you know if its worth it but you'd gain very little.
I have a 32 tooth chainring up front and an 11-32 10 speed cassette. However, some steeper climbs have been a struggle even in my easiest gear. I don't believe this is considered a wide range cassette ?

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I have 11 SPD and to be honest it is much the same as 10 or even 9spd in the real world. In my fleet I have 7/8/9/10/11spd bikes and apart from the bikes being very different in character they all perform a similar job in respect of the drivetrains. 'Upgrading' from 10 to 11spd would be a stupid waste of money IMO!
Yeah after some though I completely agree. Would you have a recommendation for a good 10 speed group of components ?
Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Yes, also need gear hanger and check condition of gear cable.

I think I may have found what I'd like.

Sunrace 10 speed 11- 42 tooth cassette

Shimano Deore XT Shadow + Derailleur - Medium Cage (will I need a longer cage because of the cassette range) ??

Shimano Deore 10 speed chain

Goat link - 10 speed adaptor

Opinions ???

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The cassette you want is available at a good price from Bike Discount.

The site also gives derailer compatibility, although the interpretation of it is not clear to me - I suspect you will want long cage.

Another slightly cheaper option would be an 11-36 cassette, which would give you a useful four extra teeth lowest gear.

Bear in mind a lot of Shimano chains are directional in that the numbers/letters stamped on the side plates need to face outwards.

Hard to see what difference that could make, but the instruction does appear in the leaflet with the chain so you may as well follow it.

It makes good overall sense to stay with medium level 10-speed because you mountain bike fellows do seem to break/wear out drivetrains and 10-speed is generally cheaper than 11.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sunrace-ms3-10-speed-cassette-11-42-554902

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano...esvaid=50080&gclid=CP2Ih-3SzdMCFQgz0wodGMYDLw

Top Bottom