Driving Books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently found this book, in a cupboard
It must have been there, quite possibly, since we moved into this house (2004)

It’s a 1980 edition, l think l got it when l was learning to drive (late ‘82/early ‘83)

I’ve not really looked at it in detail again, but a great deal will still be relevant
There’s also a copy of Roadcraft on the shelves, & the theory test book for the truck/bus tests

IMG_9018.jpeg
 

YMFB

Über Member
As a motorcycle tutor I regularly read Roadcraft. It’s on the third iteration since I started training in about 2005.
 

lazybloke

Chocolate eclairs: the peak of human endeavour
Location
Leafy Surrey
This was in the same box

1979 edition
View attachment 823568

Omg, my parents had that, and surely still have it; they rarely throw anything out. Fortunately they rarely buy anything either, so the house never changes but fortunately hasn't become a hoarder's nest.

I might have to nip over and leaf through their bookshelves for a hit of nostalgia.

They also have a lovely hardback road atlas from before motorways existed.
 
Omg, my parents had that, and surely still have it; they rarely throw anything out. Fortunately they rarely buy anything either, so the house never changes but fortunately hasn't become a hoarder's nest.

I might have to nip over and leaf through their bookshelves for a hit of nostalgia.

They also have a lovely hardback road atlas from before motorways existed.
I have a few pre-bypass/M-way OS maps
Ie; 2 x York & Tadcaster (sheet 105)
On one York is bypassed, but the A64 still goes through Tadcaster (1977)

The other is a 1960 1", & the A64 passes the Minster
20261004_121933.jpg

1977
20261004_122024.jpg

Wetherby is yet to be bypassed, but Aberford already is
20261004_121948.jpg
 
Last edited:

Happy_Days

Senior Member
As a motorcycle tutor I regularly read Roadcraft. It’s on the third iteration since I started training in about 2005.
While I’m glad that Roadcraft’s updated, each revision gets more bloated. Consequently, invaluable advice is easy to miss due to the wordiness. Roadcraft requires a ruthless editor!
 
Top Bottom