Driving licence number and insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But as they only send out their renewal 4 weeks before the scam date what good will that do you?
Really? Well you could put it in your phone BUT I could have the numbers wrong ie 4 weeks. Are you sure about the numbers because I have house insurance reminder a good 6 weeks before hand. Snidey leaving it that close to renewal date. 4 weeks that is..

tyred

Legendary Member
Mine’s handwritten with a quill pen on parchment

Mine is carved on a stone tablet.
th?id=OIP.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've just gone through the renewal process for my car.

Renewal with the current provider, Hastings, was £2 dearer than last year at £189 but still comparable to what I could find on a market comparison site. However, I spotted that the AA was offering basic breakdown cover for just £15 as an add-on and my independent breakdown cover renewal (also due now) was £60. So I went through the process of getting an AA quote for car and breakdown combined, adding on options to take me up to At Home, National Recovery + Onward Travel. That breakdown cover was £60 and car policy was £193 so I switched to them and cancelled renewal with Hastings.

Their guy was fine about it and asked if I'd give him the opportunity to beat the breakdown cover. He got me the same level of cover (using the RAC) for just £23!

I got straight back on to the AA and cancelled that, renewing with Hastings instead. Getting this level of cover directly from the RAC as a standalone policy would have been £170.

So if you're looking for a bargain, try getting your car insurer to quote you for breakdown as well. You might save a good chunk of money.

My old paper license dates back to 1997..it looks like a relic from a distant past..:laugh:
I had my 1982 paper license upgraded to EU photocard so I could rent cars abroad without trying to explain what vellum was. You have to buy new cards every 10 years unlike the oldie worlde style which was for life.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've just gone through the renewal process for my car.

Renewal with the current provider, Hastings, was £2 dearer than last year at £189 but still comparable to what I could find on a market comparison site. However, I spotted that the AA was offering basic breakdown cover for just £15 as an add-on and my independent breakdown cover renewal (also due now) was £60. So I went through the process of getting an AA quote for car and breakdown combined, adding on options to take me up to At Home, National Recovery + Onward Travel. That breakdown cover was £60 and car policy was £193 so I switched to them and cancelled renewal with Hastings.

Their guy was fine about it and asked if I'd give him the opportunity to beat the breakdown cover. He got me the same level of cover (using the RAC) for just £23!

I got straight back on to the AA and cancelled that, renewing with Hastings instead. Getting this level of cover directly from the RAC as a standalone policy would have been £170.

So if you're looking for a bargain, try getting your car insurer to quote you for breakdown as well. You might save a good chunk of money.
But surely the question really is why they didn't offer you that in the first place, how long did it take you to get it all sorted out, 2 hours?

glasgowcyclist

But surely the question really is why they didn't offer you that in the first place, how long did it take you to get it all sorted out, 2 hours?

Hastings didn't offer me the package because I hadn't asked for it before. My breakdown insurance was provided separately through AXA and had increased from £40 to £60.

It took me 30 minutes.

D

Deleted member 26715

It took me 30 minutes.
You read your renewal, used all the comparison sites, rang AA arranged insurance, rang Hastings to cancel who went through your needs & arranged insurance, then rang AA back & cancelled it all within 30 minutes, to you Sir I doff my cap.

glasgowcyclist

You read your renewal, used all the comparison sites, rang AA arranged insurance, rang Hastings to cancel who went through your needs & arranged insurance, then rang AA back & cancelled it all within 30 minutes, to you Sir I doff my cap.
I used one comparison site.
I selected the AA > go to provider.
My details all transferred from the comparison site to the AA and all I had to do was confirm no changes and tick the box for the level of breakdown cover to add.
I called Hastings to stop renewal and got an immediate quote from them for the addition of breakdown cover.
I called the AA and cancelled my policies with them.
I called Hastings and told them to proceed with my revised renewal.

It was surprisingly painless and friendly.
Or to quote my comparison site, simples!

Top Bottom