Driving licence question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
If you are between addresses, yo go abroad and want to hire a car, can you do it with your old address on your licence and would it effect the insurance.

snorri

Legendary Member
Only your insurance company can answer these questions.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The insurance abroad will be arranged through the hire car company so unfortunately my insurance company won't have the answer. Tbm I really must give you more credit than i do, you're so cool with your clever replies.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
TJ, if you are 'between' addresses then you can only give your last registered address, since you haven't officially got the new one yet?.... any correspondence would go to your last registered address if you need to collect any... or you can pay your Post Office to hold or forward any mail you receive, so it shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks AT I am getting my mail redirected to a PO Box already but was more wondering if I gave my old address would that make the hire car insurance invalid as the address on my licence would also be wrong.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, if the address on your driving licence isn't your last registered address that may be the issue as your driving licence is the means to identify who you are and that you are entitled to drive.... so best take your passport too... just to be able to prove you are who you say you are!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you are between addresses, yo go abroad and want to hire a car, can you do it with your old address on your licence and would it effect the insurance.

Why should the hirer check your address?

All of my overseas car hire involved the address being copied onto the hire documents with no checks being made over the validity of the address. It shouldn't affect the insurance as it's the driver that's being insured not the driver's house.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ok thanks for info, my current address is on the licence but I move friday. Just trying to ensure I'm all above board and legal.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
As long as the address is correct it shouldn't be a issue. Its just for company records anyhow. They don't do anything with it. Unless you crash or steal it yada yada .

Top Bottom