Driving to France for the Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjcafferkey

Regular
How possible would this be?

Really want to do it this year and just take the car, tent and clothes. Just need some information on things that I should know but don't already?

Thanks in advance.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
How possible would this be?

Really want to do it this year and just take the car, tent and clothes. Just need some information on things that I should know but don't already?

Thanks in advance.

How possible, very! If you're going to a decent mountain stage (moreover, the finish of one), get there early (days before) and prepare to fight for your space (it can get gradually eroded very easily). Take everything you need and dig yourself firmly in.

Also, take earplugs as it can get pretty noisy (especially in the pyrenees) and sleep is often just wishful thinking.

If you don't camp on the mountain then no need to turn up early, I arrived in Saint-Beat the day before the tour was due over the Peyserourde (for the first time, it was also due over the day after and to pass through Marignac) and there was still plenty of camping available. On the day of the tour I cycled up the Col arriving at the summit approx 3 hours before the tour and could have stood just about anywhere, it only got manic 30 mins or so before the caravan turned up. As it happens there was also plenty of space had I wanted to camp up there, but probably not had I been in a vehicle. Fantastic atmosphere that really gives you extra legs.
day18-2.jpg

OP
OP
tjcafferkey

tjcafferkey

Regular
Cheers guys I can't wait. Any recommendations on where to go? Really looking forward to seeing the Tour.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
This may sound obvious but make sure you've looked at the route and are on an uphill part- friends of mine found a really nice quiet part of the route, no one around, in the sunny, lovely- then they realised as the all the riders passed at about 60mph and in about 6 seconds why no one else chose to stand there!

Top Bottom