Watching TV while driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Person

Today I was behind a car on a side road which was stationary at a give way sign and waiting to enter a semi busy road. While waiting the guys car began to roll back towards me so I gave the usual verbal shout of 'hey mate'. It was while doing this that I noticed what I assume is his GPS unit was playing a news channel. Is this legal? I don't drive so have no idea if a car GPS unit can play live stream videos.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its visible to the driver it's not legal. Be aware that some cars, I know Range Rovers can be specced to do it, have polarised screens so the driver gets to see that sat nav or whatever whike the passenger can watch a movie.

Send your bike cam footage to the dibble.

OP
OP
Person

Person

It may help for me to say that the unit displaying the video was not built into the car it was an added on unit.

DRM

Guru
I've lost count of the amount of drivers i've seen watching You Tube videos whilst driving, but the chances of being caught are slim to nil

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Autostradas in Italy used to have a rumble strip between the inside lane and the hard shoulder. Truckers were rumoured to put their inside wheels just over the rumble strip and steer by the vibrations, enabling them to watch their favourite soaps on the TV while earning a living.

dicko

Guru
I was given a lift to Costco by my friend on Wednesday, his BMW had a DVD player and the screen (also satnav and information screen) was clearly visible to both driver and front passenger. He did tell me that whilst the car was in motion the DVD wouldn’t play.

Gunk

Guru
Don’t get me started, I do about 15000 business miles a year and see people watching YouTube, TikTok, checking their social media feeds all whilst they are supposed to be driving. All the kids seem to have a smart phone hanging off the windscreen.

Top Bottom